Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a small block 350 bored to 355 with stock crank an rods. i wanna build a quick motor but not go to crazy for my 64 nova. theres a turbo 350 trans in it with shift kits and a 2500 stall converter. what i need to kno is what size cam to use with that block and flat top pistons an with my heads that are 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust with either 53cc or 58cc combustion chambers. the guy i bought them from said there 58 but when i ran the casting number it said 53cc so im not sure. i just wanna be safe with it an not run into problems. i need to kno what size duration gross lift and the rpm range on the cam for my whole set up. also there are hooker longtube headers msd distributor .holly hi rise intake with a 750 edlebrock carb with a vbelt setup and electrick fans. im really held up by not knowing what cam to get an would really appriciat the help.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
For starters what are the casting numbers of your heads? This will give us a better insight on what they are as only 262, 267 and 305`s came with heads with such a small chamber, if someone installed big valves in these heads it`s a waste of time as the chamber shrouding is so bad the bigger valve will flow less than will a stock head. What`s the rear gear of the car? how much are you looking to spend? Give us the full layout on your combo, headers, intake, ignition, carb, etc. and we can be more helpful on selecting other pieces. The combo must work together to make maximum power. When parts are matched up a very good output from the engine makes you happy, when they don`t match poor performance results and you won`t be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DoubleVision said:
For starters what are the casting numbers of your heads? This will give us a better insight on what they are as only 262, 267 and 305`s came with heads with such a small chamber, if someone installed big valves in these heads it`s a waste of time as the chamber shrouding is so bad the bigger valve will flow less than will a stock head. What`s the rear gear of the car? how much are you looking to spend? Give us the full layout on your combo, headers, intake, ignition, carb, etc. and we can be more helpful on selecting other pieces. The combo must work together to make maximum power. When parts are matched up a very good output from the engine makes you happy, when they don`t match poor performance results and you won`t be happy.

ok the casting number is an i looked it up an this is what it came out to. 14022601 267, 305 HO, 80-85, 58cc, 1.84-1.5, 7 bolt ex. the guy i bought them from had all new valves put in an machined to 2.02 an 1.60 valves. theres 4.11 in a 10 bolt rear. the headers are 1 3/4 tubes with 3in collectors the intake is a single plane hi rise holly. a 7al ingnition an a 750 edlbrock performer carb. an im tryin to build this as cheap as possible. dont have much time or money for the nova now that im having a baby coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok the casting number is an i looked it up an this is what it came out to. 14022601 267, 305 HO, 80-85, 58cc, 1.84-1.5, 7 bolt ex. the guy i bought them from had all new valves put in an machined to 2.02 an 1.60 valves. theres 4.11 in a 10 bolt rear. the headers are 1 3/4 tubes with 3in collectors the intake is a single plane hi rise holly. a 7al ingnition an a 750 edlbrock performer carb. an im tryin to build this as cheap as possible. dont have much time or money for the nova now that im having a baby coming.

·
Veteran/Firefighter-Paramedic
1,736 Posts
i second that tech insp 1, those heads still wont suport a motor that revs much over 5k, i would go with a cam with around 215 duration or less at .050, keep the power down low these heads will do for now but i would be on the look out for a set of vortecs of if the funds ever come to you a decent set of aftermarket iron heads, what is the trans in the nova, as the 4.11's with a 28" tire and a 1:1 final trans gear ratio will but you over 3000 rpm at 55-60mph, not somthing i would want to do with those 305ho heads, i would go after a 3.42 or higher gear, or a 700r4 or 2004r OD trans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.