Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides bds, anyone know who makes a competition intake for a 351w? Also need it with a burst panel. The bds unit is $800 and looks like a dual plane with the top cut off and a plate welded on.

Also need a crank support for same. Thks

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Smoke,
I looked all over and couldn't find one listed. I would suggest you call Don Hampton www.hamptonblowers.com he specializes in the hard to find/make things. When I was in his shop he was showing me some of the stuff he has made in the past. He is an awsome guy. If he doesn't have or make them I guarantee he will point you in the right direction.

Royce

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks,have already looked at Dons deal. Wonder if I can just get a gd intake and buy a plate and mill it for the plate? I think thats what it looks like they have done. tig, mill out for the burstpanel.think I can do that for about half of what they want for one. What do you think they did in the old days when something wasnt available.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Smoke,
If you have access to a mill or know a machinist and can tig weld, you are all set. You are correct on how they make them. You can buy burst panel assemblies so getting through tech shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like you are planning on making big power (boost) if you plan to use a burst panel.

Royce

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thks, yea Im just going to run about 15 lbs with an 80a and a 6-71 in a 220 in Hanna car. Not a big deal,just going to get em used to running a blower for awhile . think they want to go to a N/FC in the future,and then we can have fun. Alc is ok,but nitro is more fun.

·
brains
1,009 Posts
When I built my 351w I bought the BDS intake. Sucks that us ford guys have to spend that much, I think I spent 750$ for mine. Anyhow its base is a Dual 4bbl manifold by offenhouser with the top cut off. Hamptons has one also, but if I remember its the same price. The BDS is a the way to go, its just high enough you dont have to buy a special distributor for the motor.

I tried to buy those plates with the idea I would weld my own intake, and the blower people want to keep thier monopoly, they wouldnt sell me the adapter only.

By the way wait until you want to mount your lower pulley and BDS wants 450$ for the harmonic balancer. Not only expensive but its an anchor!!!..., its a huge o'l heavy thing, I would of never used it had I known it was so heavy.

Ben

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thks for the reply. What I think I might do is just get a 4340 crank internal ,then no counterweight. Its the same price for either around 450,so that gets rid of the counterbalance. I figured it had to be some kind of 2/4 intake they used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts