Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 Nissan Frontier that is in good shape, but it has a lot of miles on it, and the engine is getting tired. I've been tossing around the idea of putting a small block Chevy and overdrive automatic in it. It's got a real stout frame, and seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay.

Anyone ever done one of these? Or, know of a company who makes swap adapters for it? What about wiring, computer, etc? I can't imagine it would be that much of a deal.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
dalesy said:
I've got a 2000 Nissan Frontier that is in good shape, but it has a lot of miles on it, and the engine is getting tired. I've been tossing around the idea of putting a small block Chevy and overdrive automatic in it. It's got a real stout frame, and seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay.

Anyone ever done one of these? Or, know of a company who makes swap adapters for it? What about wiring, computer, etc? I can't imagine it would be that much of a deal.
The mechanical swap isn't hard, it's the systems that kills ya. The Datsun is OBD 2 which means everything right up to the speedometer is electronically driven. There's at least three ways to go:

1) Rip out everything electronic and put in mechanical instruments, change the fuel pump to a low pressure unit, etc; and use a a carbureted SBC.

2) Rip out the Datsun systems and put in all GM to support an electronic SBC.

3) Spend a lot of money on electronic converters to take GM computer and sensor data to drive the original systems.

If you have to meet emissions, selections 2 and 3 are your options.

Bogie

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bogie, I think step one would be the way I'd go. We don't have emissions testing here, so carbureted small block would probably be my way.

My biggest concern would probably be the wiring. Once I get rid of all the computer crap, where do I come up with a diagram for everything else? I don't want this to be a 'rig' job. I am somewhat proficient at reading wiring diagrams, but would the wiring to a given accessory (like a wiper or starter) be the same, once the computer is gone, as it was before? Or am I going to have to go to Painless Wiring, or someone like that and get a whole new harness?

I've had trouble with the gauges for the last year or so anyway. At any given time, they'll just shut down...maybe all of them at once, or a couple of them at a time. Then, They'll just start back up and be fine for a few days. I wouldn't mind getting rid of them for some good mechanical gauges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.