Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My father says our Monte needs a rear seal. He is planning on putting in a Hi-Performance engine in the spring anywho, so isnt going to fix it. However, Id like to, if for no other reason than the experience.

I cant find any info on the net (probably just not looking in the right place) about how to change it. I know this is simple, but can I just get an idea of how much effort and money is needed to do this? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Monte Rear Seal!

First off BMM, you are going to have to provide us with more specific detail about the subject car, like:

What Year Monte Carlo?

Which Engine does she have in her?

JWZO6

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
BMM said:
Oh ****, sorry...Where was my head!

Vehicle is a 1981 Monte Carlo with a 267 ci Chevy, hooked up to a th350.

Sorry!

A 267 that's coming out anyway is not worth the money OR effort of replacing the rear main seal, the oil pan has to come off and to do that you just about have to pull the engine. A good way to get the experience without wasting your money is try to get the pan off before Dad pulls the motor, by the time you're done it will be ready for him to pull and you will have gained a LOT of experience with no money spent. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your Rear Seal Exchange!

BMM... These fellas are giving you good advice... Changing out that rear seal is a monumental task and nothing about it is simple. If you are familiar with the process then there is nothing complicated about it, however, the process is very labor intense.... It would be a huge waste of your time to change it if you are going to install another engine in the near future.

I know a fantastic Crate Engine Builder who has the only 2 year warranty that I am aware of around that industry and every engine is hand assembled, blueprinted, balanced and Dyno Tuned for optimum Horsepower output and torque before it is crated and shipped.

Write me a personal e-mail through this forum and I will provide all the necessary details.

Best regards,
ZWZO6

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
A doomed 267 isn't worth wasting much time or money on, but I'd throw $3 at it & put some of that engine stop-leak stuff (CD-2, etc.) in it. It'll slow down the leak so you don't lose so much oil, and you won't risk breaking something if you tear it down.

When the new motor shows up, be sure you're there to help swap it in, then put the 267 on a stand, where you can take it apart and see what's on the inside without having to be in a hurry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.