Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got leaking oil press sending unit brass fittings on SBC engine near distribut. (see pic) I'll get new fittings, but wondering since its been 40yr since I put an engine together, what is the best stuff (if any) to put on the threads these days. At a car show last week I looked at a lot of SBC's and in most cases saw white pvc plumbing tape on the threads. I felt that might not be correct for oil. I have a tube of plumber pipe thread sealant I used on some galv. pipe. Is that OK or is there something more appropriate for engine fittings?

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,551 Posts
The white tape is teflon, and highly recommended to use. just keep it on the threads and back from the opening of the fitting.
There also is a paste that is teflon, it is also white, and does a good job.
Either one will work fine. The tape is less messy and easier to apply. Plus it is pretty inexspensive per roll. most hardware stores have it.
One thing to think about, with all the vibration the fittings endure, supporting the weight of the sender, they may be cracked , causing the leak. Just a thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.