Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 1967 camaro, to my knowledge mostly all of the car is original, I haven’t run the engine numbers but it seems to be original, it’s a 350 with a 2-speed power glide, the engine after pulling it out for the winter doesn’t seem to be running right like it did, checked stuff and it’s using a lot of oil and smoking and not powerful since I’ve gotten it, a friend of mine was putting in for a friend a 350 crate truck motor from gm (295hp, 4 bolt), never been run, well as he was pushing the cherry picker forward the wheel broke and the engine droppped, it hit the ground and after looking at it the only thing it done was land on the harmonic balancer and break the end of the crank off, other than that the engine is perfect and nothing wrong with it, after talking to multiple people I know it’s still a gamble but it’s an amazing deal for a brand new motor, so I am gonna buy it and get a guy to put it in for me, order a crank kit and make it good as new, I wanna put a cam in it nothing big and I’m deciding whether to turbo it or supercharge it, I’m not wanting no racer or anything but something that I can still cruise in, be reliable, but still gap a fool at a red light for fun nothing insane, I’ve done plenty of light work on vehicles but never done anything like this yet and was wondering if I could get some advice, I found a post on this website with good advice and some parts, but it was in 2011 and I know there’s been a lot of new stuff and products come out since then, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the car is an "SS"? Only the SS came with a 350
The damaged engine can be repaired at a reputable shop
No it’s just a base model it might be a 327 I haven’t ran the numbers on the stock motor and I plan on replacing the 2 speed with a 4 speed manual, the guy I’m getting to do the swap is very good with this stuff and can do it I have full faith in him, he’s worked on a family member of mines gasser and does really good work

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
You have somewhat of an oxymoron going here. You're looking to put in a budget engine and then add a turbo or supercharger? And in a '67 Camaro? That's an ultra valuable car in my world - again, budget/save a buck and '67 Camaro is somewhat paradoxical. A supercharger setup will cost more than what you have in your engine - pulling it off for less than $3500 is a real chore and it will probably be more like $5-6K. The turbo deal is cheaper and 1000 times more street friendly IMHO. No matter what you choose, you're going to have to think about the money you want to spend.

So now I'll forget the contradictions of your build that I see. A homegrown turbo kit, with a either blow through carb or Sniper EFI along with fuel system upgrades, BOV, and wastegate is not hard. If your carb skills are good, then either build one or look into a CSU carb unit. In terms of mild performance, every engine out there will handle 8-12 psi of boost if you can handle the tuning. There are two issues with this program. 1st, if you think you can handle the tuning and can't, then you're budget motor will be scrap. 2nd, boost is crazy addictive. If you take your 295hp crate motor and put 8-10 psi to it and turn it into a 400-450hp motor, then the next step will 14-16psi, etc, until you turn those hyper or cast pistons to dust. And at that point you'll be thinking 'why didn't I LS swap this *****?'

If you're sure you'll be happy at 400-450hp, then great. If not, then look into a turbo'd LS swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have somewhat of an oxymoron going here. You're looking to put in a budget engine and then add a turbo or supercharger? And in a '67 Camaro? That's an ultra valuable car in my world - again, budget/save a buck and '67 Camaro is somewhat paradoxical. A supercharger setup will cost more than what you have in your engine - pulling it off for less than $3500 is a real chore and it will probably be more like $5-6K. The turbo deal is cheaper and 1000 times more street friendly IMHO. No matter what you choose, you're going to have to think about the money you want to spend.

So now I'll forget the contradictions of your build that I see. A homegrown turbo kit, with a either blow through carb or Sniper EFI along with fuel system upgrades, BOV, and wastegate is not hard. If your carb skills are good, then either build one or look into a CSU carb unit. In terms of mild performance, every engine out there will handle 8-12 psi of boost if you can handle the tuning. There are two issues with this program. 1st, if you think you can handle the tuning and can't, then you're budget motor will be scrap. 2nd, boost is crazy addictive. If you take your 295hp crate motor and put 8-10 psi to it and turn it into a 400-450hp motor, then the next step will 14-16psi, etc, until you turn those hyper or cast pistons to dust. And at that point you'll be thinking 'why didn't I LS swap this *?'

If you're sure you'll be happy at 400-450hp, then great. If not, then look into a turbo'd LS swap.
I apologize I’m not that knowledgeable on this stuff as I’m just getting into where I can work on my own stuff and afford stuff and I don’t mean any disrespect by that I understand I’m wet behind the ears, and after talking about it and hearing about the heads which is the center bolt heads I think I’m gonna pass on that engine and I’m looking online at a 383 stroker with 450hp or going and finding a ls, I’ve got money to spend on it now but I don’t wanna spend my entire amount I have because I have other projects and stuff, but I think I’ll probably go a different route and thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
710 Posts
that car will need a diff, (12 bolt or better) tie the subframes, lakewood slapper bars with J bolts or Caltracs if you stay with mono leaf. 3k
fuel system 500
transmission if stick get a modern 5 speed with scatter shield, good clutch and S.F.I. steel flywheel. 5k
A 650 hp N.A. 540 about 12-14k.
headers/exhaust 3k
misc; cowl hood, 50/50 rear shocks, front shocks(depends on application). All mechanical repairs to make for safety,
upgrade brakes to front disc or 4 wheel disc 4k
tires and wheels to hold the power,3-8k?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that car will need a diff, (12 bolt or better) tie the subframes, lakewood slapper bars with J bolts or Caltracs if you stay with mono leaf. 3k
fuel system 500
transmission if stick get a modern 5 speed with scatter shield, good clutch and S.F.I. steel flywheel. 5k
A 650 hp N.A. 540 about 12-14k.
headers/exhaust 3k
misc; cowl hood, 50/50 rear shocks, front shocks(depends on application). All mechanical repairs to make for safety,
upgrade brakes to front disc or 4 wheel disc 4k
tires and wheels to hold the power,3-8k?
I’m looking at a new rearend for it atm and already have a set of Lakewood bars and in the next few days ordering new disc brake kit for it, thank you for the advice and pricing!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Your looking in the wrong places. Run the new to you motor. I would not even mess with the cam just install a new crank/bearings and break the motor in.

But run a th350 or a th400 behind the motor. That extra gear is going to make the car much more street friendly and put less strain on the engine.

End of the day the car is a heavy cruiser. If you turn it into anything else your going to give up things that will make it a good cruiser.
So just make the thing reliable and drive it. If later on you want to build the thing into a turbocharged thing you have a powerglide under the bench. But as far as performance and driveablity that 2 speed is the first thing I would look at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.