Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering what type header gaskets you guys use for smallblock headers(round or square)? I just have basic stock gm heads. I'm about to purchase a set of Pearcy's Seal4Good gaskets. I already have a cheap set of round Mr.Gasket, but I wanted a better gasket. The headers were on the truck when I bought it, so I don't know what brand they are if it even matters. They look like flowtechs, though. Any advice would be a big help.

THANKS

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
The round hole ones allways last longer for me.The square ones blow out in a couple weeks.
Just remember to retighten um after there first run and retighten every 2 weeks after that.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Good gaskets are the # 1 inportance. I prefer the "blow proof" type with the compressable ring around the port (like aircraft) installed with bolt lockers. $$$$$ but no constant messing around.

I've seen lots of people that like the locking bolt tabs or have bolts drilled and use stainless safety wire. Some people use high temp blue lock-tite on the bolts.

added: www.readershotrods.com

·
big Q
219 Posts
gaskets ok

boss350 said:
I was wandering what type header gaskets you guys use for smallblock headers(round or square)? I just have basic stock gm heads. I'm about to purchase a set of Pearcy's Seal4Good gaskets. I already have a cheap set of round Mr.Gasket, but I wanted a better gasket. The headers were on the truck when I bought it, so I don't know what brand they are if it even matters. They look like flowtechs, though. Any advice would be a big help.
THANKS
first of all you got to see what your heads have oval or square ports to use the right gasket
mr gasket might be cheap but they work good if you torque the bolt to the right specs.
i use a copper header gasket for a better seal these cost around 40 bucks well worth it

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
You referring to header gaskets or collector gaskets?
If header gaskets, then there`s a few tricks to the trade. Any paper header gasket you buy has to be soaked in water, why they don`t include this on the package is beyond me. When soaked they swell and hold moisture, providing a better seal. I only use the factory exhaust manifold gaskets from fel pro, can get`em at any auto parts store, and cheap too. There tough and resist burn out for quite a while if the bolt happens to come loose. In all the cases I`ve delt with using regular header bolts, all you have to do is let the bolts season in. Run the car, let it cool, check the bolts, do this for a week, and they don`t come loose anymore.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
DoubleVision said:
You referring to header gaskets or collector gaskets?
If header gaskets, then there`s a few tricks to the trade. Any paper header gasket you buy has to be soaked in water, why they don`t include this on the package is beyond me. When soaked they swell and hold moisture, providing a better seal. I only use the factory exhaust manifold gaskets from fel pro, can get`em at any auto parts store, and cheap too. There tough and resist burn out for quite a while if the bolt happens to come loose. In all the cases I`ve delt with using regular header bolts, all you have to do is let the bolts season in. Run the car, let it cool, check the bolts, do this for a week, and they don`t come loose anymore.
I was going to say the same thing except for the paper gasket soaking thing (I've never tried it).

I've had the best service with the stock-type Fel-Pro manifold gaskets.

tom

·
big Q
219 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
When I put the engine in my truck this spring I used the stock replacement manifold gaskets. To my surprise they work great and don't leak. I didn't have any header gaskets and didn't want to run to the parts store so I tried them, glad I did!

Let's reiterate.... there cheap!!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I know I sure wasn`t the first to try it and suggest it, but when I was dealing with my bro in law in the racing days, we kept burning out header gaskets, so I suggested why not try exhaust manifold gaskets? we did and the problem was solved, it occured to me since they were made of steel mesh so what did we have to loose? The paper header gasket soaking thing, I seen that on the package of some header gaskets that came with a set of headers, it said on the back "soak gaskets in water until they swell" so it made sense to me why they burn out so easy without water. I ran the same set of exhaust manifold gaskets on my car for 5 years, they never burned out, and I took the headers off 3 times during those 5 years and reused them every time, the gaskets also having a open bottom so the gasket can just drop in from the top is a big benefit since it makes it easy, you don`t have to worry about lining it all up and holding things in place. I`m running jet hot coated headers this go round, and I`m using fel pro exhaust manifold gaskets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.