Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
You referring to header gaskets or collector gaskets?
If header gaskets, then there`s a few tricks to the trade. Any paper header gasket you buy has to be soaked in water, why they don`t include this on the package is beyond me. When soaked they swell and hold moisture, providing a better seal. I only use the factory exhaust manifold gaskets from fel pro, can get`em at any auto parts store, and cheap too. There tough and resist burn out for quite a while if the bolt happens to come loose. In all the cases I`ve delt with using regular header bolts, all you have to do is let the bolts season in. Run the car, let it cool, check the bolts, do this for a week, and they don`t come loose anymore.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I know I sure wasn`t the first to try it and suggest it, but when I was dealing with my bro in law in the racing days, we kept burning out header gaskets, so I suggested why not try exhaust manifold gaskets? we did and the problem was solved, it occured to me since they were made of steel mesh so what did we have to loose? The paper header gasket soaking thing, I seen that on the package of some header gaskets that came with a set of headers, it said on the back "soak gaskets in water until they swell" so it made sense to me why they burn out so easy without water. I ran the same set of exhaust manifold gaskets on my car for 5 years, they never burned out, and I took the headers off 3 times during those 5 years and reused them every time, the gaskets also having a open bottom so the gasket can just drop in from the top is a big benefit since it makes it easy, you don`t have to worry about lining it all up and holding things in place. I`m running jet hot coated headers this go round, and I`m using fel pro exhaust manifold gaskets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts