Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 camaro with a non original 350 #3970010/ heads are 882# I was told this motor came out of corvette, but not to sure. My question is how can I tell what year,comp ratio,horsepower, and what should I do to make about 325 hp. Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The 010 block is very common and was used between 69-80 in everything from pass. cars, trucks and even commercial uses. Could be a 2 or 4 bolt main, dose'nt matter for the street. The 882 heads are basically smog heads used between 74-80 and have 76 cc chambers, somebody is stroking you about it being a vette engine.
If its high mileage I would tear it down and trake it to a GOOD machine shop to see if the block, crank and rods are rebuildable. If so then 9.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, Comp Cams XE262 or 268 cam/lifters, Vortech heads, Edelbrock Performer intake with a 600-650 Holley or Edelbrock carb. Have your HEI checked and or rebuilt and a good set of 1 1/2 long tube headers. i would use as many ARP bolts or studs that I could, specially rod bolts. Theres many other combo's but I,m sure that would get you 350 hp or so. The original compression may be around 8.00:1, the hp was very weak, maybe 160 ??, the year code should be cast on the right rear of the block where the trans bolts up. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I had a feeling that it wasn't a vette motor, but oh well. The engine is a low milage one with a performer intake, eldelbrock 600, mild cam?, headers and a good HEI,the car pulls very well up to about 5500. With the lame 3.08 rear and a heavy camaro, I can stay with my buddies 94 mustang 5.0, so I know it must have at least 200hp. I'm going to go with vortec heads,diff cam, and a steeper gear. :thumbup:

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Even if it were a Corvette engine what would make it any more special? Those mid-70s Corvettes weren't all that powerful anyway. I few a guy that came up to me and told me he had a Corvette 283 in his 67 Chevy C10, I guess he thought I was supposed to impressed. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.