Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Theecat-mobile
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help of my husband, I just finished rebuilding the 350 original engine in my 1977 Corvette, (automatic transmission). When reconnecting the battery I noticed the two small wires on the Alternator sparked and started smoking. Detached them, started the car, engine runs great, but not sure why I can't replug in the two small wires so I can drive it further than around the block.. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? I took many pictures of the tear down...as this was my first attempt at an engine rebuild, so I'm 100% possitive that the wires are in the right place.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
With the help of my husband, I just finished rebuilding the 350 original engine in my 1977 Corvette, (automatic transmission). When reconnecting the battery I noticed the two small wires on the Alternator sparked and started smoking. Detached them, started the car, engine runs great, but not sure why I can't replug in the two small wires so I can drive it further than around the block.. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? I took many pictures of the tear down...as this was my first attempt at an engine rebuild, so I'm 100% possitive that the wires are in the right place.
Trace the wires back to be sure they're not pinched between a bracket or something. A multi-page wiring diagram for a '78 'Vette is here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had issues like this before, and it's always been a loose/bad ground. Make sure your ground strap from engine to body is good, clean and tight. Hell, add a second one.

Also, if the wires from your starter to the rest of your system aren't big enough you can cause draw issues as well, which is why I run the alternator straight to the battery.

·
Theecat-mobile
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have joined this forum 8 months ago when I started the project! Thank you so much for the quick responses, I'll be checking out the wires asap. I was afraid that I might have wired the starter wrong and thats why the alternator wires were unhappy?!? But the starter works fine, I guess that means I got those wires right, it was really hard to find info on the wiring for the starter. I have 3 manuals that have helped me get this far, but not all info is in a book :-(

Attachments

·
Theecat-mobile
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smoking and sparking alternator wires

Ok then, I was correct in that while wiring the starter I put the ground wire on the possitive conection by mistake, OOPS! So now, no sparks, no smoke and no pinched or damaged wires, just a happy alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.