Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
When I first started working in a garage back in my teens, I had a starter Craftsman set of tools. The main mechanic had all Snap-off....he was teaching me how to align a car on the rack. He put a 7/8" Craftsman 12 point socket on this nut and put a breaker bar on it and pulled. It went off like a gun shot, breaking a big piece out of the socket. He said "here kid you have Craftsman tools, take this back to Sears, they'll give you a new one. I looked at this old worn down socket and thought now way will they replace it.........long story short.......they did, no questions.....have only bought Craftsman since...that's 30+ years now.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Bought a set of these on sale for $14.99 to toss in my truck tool box (haven't lost anything if they get stolen :D ) and decided to test them to determine how good they are. Chucked a 1/2" grade 8 bolt in my heavy bench vise then using a 3/4" breaker and reducer adapter I attempted to break the 3/4" socket, no could do! That thing is a heck of a lot tougher than it should be for the price and IMO at least as strong as a Craftsman, the finish is not so good and will wear fairly quickly but in the strength department where it really counts these things are pretty darn good. :)

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93574

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
woodz428 said:
I agree with all your comments. I think one of the reasons that you are seeing them buy more Craftsmen tools is that the quality is higher than it was. I don't mean that they broke, but as far as finish,etc. they have improved enormously in the last few decades. They as well as other tool companies( remember what I said about tool manufacturing) have upgraded to the standard that was once a Snap-OFF exclusive. !
Are you sure the quality has improved? :confused: It's been a while since I've bought any Craftsman tools, but the last time I saw them new in the store, I thought they were lower quality than the ones I bought 20 years ago.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
scrot said:
Are you sure the quality has improved? :confused: It's been a while since I've bought any Craftsman tools, but the last time I saw them new in the store, I thought they were lower quality than the ones I bought 20 years ago.
I'd have to go through a store, I was speaking from the ones I have seen that others have bought. The fit(the way it feels) and finish were much nicer than the older ones I have. Instead of the rough textured cast appearance of the older ones(40 years +) they appear to be smooth and chromed. I have seen both sockets and wrenches that are finished the same.
I happen to have an early Snap-On wrench also...probably 1950s or even 40s. It is the butt ugliest/crudest wrench I have ever seen. No finish whatsoever and looks like they popped it out of the forge and put it on the truck. So even they weren't what they would have you believe today.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm with OldRed on the Harbor Freight. The tools are tough and get the job done. Can't beat the price! Just to open another can of worms, but I've been buying Husky tools from Home Depot. They also have the life time or until you break it guarantee like Craftsman. The quality, price and finish on their tools is very good.

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
1ownerT said:
The Craftsman Professional line of wrenches are pretty nice, their standard stuff is difficult working with daily.
Their ratchets suck, the ratcheting mechanism is far from good.
I believe Cornwell makes [or made] Craftsman? I bought a few used Cornwell ratchets from E bay. I took them apart to clean/inspect/grease, and it was obvious they were the same as the Craftsman ratchets I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This might give a few of you a giggle, but I buy Husky hand tools from Home Depot whenever they have the right tool. They handle well, are mostly excellent quality, and if I have had an issue with any of them I have never had a problem with Home Depot replacing them. Problem is they have a limited line and do not carry many of the specialty items. I don't know who is making them for them but they make a good quality product. I also have never had a problem with Craftsman either be it quality or service/replacement. I am not a mechanic by trade but I purchase a lot of tools for myself and I quickly realized the Snap-On scam a long time ago. Its all perception marketing. I am in the development and marketing biz with my hand cleaner and even the hand cleaner they sell is priced off the wall for what it is. Most of what I use is S&K through Grainger. They are a bit expensive but their quality is exceptional. Grainger never balks at replacing a tool.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I bought a Master mechanic complete socket set (true value hardware) and have abused the heck out of them. I've used the ratchet for a hammer, and had cheater pipe 2 feet long on it and have yet to break anything.
Had them since 93 and they are tough! NAPA premium broke so many times the parts counter guy got to know me by my first name!

·
Garage Filler
324 Posts
I made up a "junk yard" bag a couple years ago. Cheap sockets, wrenches, ratchets etc from Harbor Freight. I needed a bag I could grab and go digging through the bone yard without emptying my main box. I also carry this bag in the car on out of town trips. I find myself more and more using the HF stuff over the few Snap-On, Mac etc items I have. I do like the Snap-On screwdrivers though. Of all my 3/8 ratchets, the cheap Stanley gets the most use.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
I was in O'Reilly's Saturday getting some weld thru primer, brake cleaner, and air hose connectors. The GM Goodwrench tools are on the same ailse as the connectors. I am missing a 1/4" SnapOn combination wrench, so I took a look at the GM unit. Made in Taiwan! Glad my tax dollars went to save those American jobs.

Next time I am in Sears, I will probably buy a Craftsman.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally never bought into the "I gotta buy" Snap-On, Mac, or Cornwell to be successful. My tool collection consists of 75% Craftsman, 20% SK, and 5% other brands. ALL of my Craftsman ratchets hit the trash when they break and I replace them with SK. I was severely pissed when I broke a "Premium" 3/8" Craftsman ratchet and was given a POS as a replacement. I argued for 20 minutes that it was a premium one when I purchased it 20 years ago, did not matter, I save myself the hassle now. I am still amazed that my 1/2" ratchet is still holding up after all these years of abuse.

I have split several Craftsman sockets down the side by abusing them. They honor the warranty, but I stil think I may switch them out to SK and give my son the Craftsman stuff when he gets a place of his own. I have a couple local places that can warranty SK. If you shop hard enough on the internet SK can present a bargain.

Chris

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
redsdad said:
I was in O'Reilly's Saturday getting some weld thru primer, brake cleaner, and air hose connectors. The GM Goodwrench tools are on the same ailse as the connectors. I am missing a 1/4" SnapOn combination wrench, so I took a look at the GM unit. Made in Taiwan! Glad my tax dollars went to save those American jobs.

Next time I am in Sears, I will probably buy a Craftsman.
Those GM tools were made in Taiwan ROC long before your tax money went to them.

·
0.....55.../100
39 Posts
I hate salesmen. They're the scum of the earth as far as I'm concerned, ranking right up there with doctors and lawyers. They will blatantly lie to you and take your money. I will never let one in my home or shop (when I get it built) for as long as I live. If I have to go through a salesman to buy something, I don't need it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a point of trivia:

I worked at Western Auto in 1993-94. At the time, they were owned by Sears; we accepted the Sears credit card and would do tool exhanges if we had the tool on hand. Being a parts store though, we only had a limited range of tools.

I was told then that Husky tools came from the same off-shore supplier. At the time, I did notice that Husky tools (ratchets, wrenchs, and tool boxes) were identical in appearence to Craftsman except the stampings.

Is that true today? dunno...it was 16 years ago...

·
Banned
167 Posts
I bought some SK tools from my local auto parts store and love them all. Never had a problem. Have some Sears I like to. Never bought Snap On or Mac, way too expensive. Is SK still in buisness, I don't know, never had a tool to replace in 19 years.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.