Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was a kid I remember going to hotrod shows with my dad and always wanting him to get one. He never had the time or knowledge to make a hot rod but he would buy old ratted out VW's, we would clean them up and resell them. I still have a vague remembering of going to a car show under trees in a park, eating hot dogs and grouping the cars into "gangster" cars or Hotrods and wanting to always know what car was the fastest in case I ever got into a police chase. A few years ago I figured out it was the Forest Grove Concours d'Elegance, and we have been going back ever since. Cords, Rolls, Packards and some fine hotrods.

About 4 years ago I finally got my chance. A buddy of mine took me for a ride in his pro "street" Anglia with wheelie bars that got used quite often. It just so happened that he was selling his 58 Chevy PU for $1800, Volare front end, TH350, 350 and 12 bolt possi. I had some extra money and a great wife who has been very supportive. I thought It would make a great project since all the parts where already there. I think my dad gets more of a kick in it than even I do :)

So how did you get started?

Jordon

·
Registered
22 Posts
The thing that got me into hot rodding would probably be the Woodward Dream Cruise. To me growing up in the metro Detroit area meant always going. My dad would tell me about all the cars, and he always talks to people. I've always loved listening to people tell stories and that probably came from listening to my dad talking to the car guys. 2 years ago I convinced my dad to buy a Camaro which has been our project. Recently he has given me responsibility of the Camaro and so I've started paying it off. So I guess what got me into hot rodding was attending the Dream Cruise with my dad and enjoying the sights, the smells, and the stories.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started reading hot rod and car craft for a couple of month's then desided I don't know what the heck there talken about and it was kinda dumb Later on down the road I saw the cover of hot rod and it looked like a good issue (rust runner's 2004) I liked it and slowly learned very slowly learned what they mean and different stuff Now I have a 69 buick wild cat and 'am going to look at a 70ish duster today. Lot of people tell me I'am wasting my time including
my parents and money tell me what's it like to have parents that suport you in what you do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was about 14 years old and went to see a movie that an older guy said was kind of cool. It was American Graffiti and I have been blessed with this addiction ever since. :D

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
The box art on the AMT 3 In 1 1940 Ford Coupe circa 1960. My dad bought one for me when I was about 6, not sure why because my Dad was NOT a car guy. I'm sure he regretted it in year's to come when the driveway was filled with GTO's and Chevelles but that's what lit the fire. :D I found one of those old boxes at an antique shop a few years ago in really nice shape for 3 bucks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Probsbly the progression started with racing my bike, building model cars, by the 60's I was dragracing, switched to circle track when drag racing got too expensive (like circle track wasn't?) in the early 70's.........then decided I was tired of tearing stuff up on Saturday nite, and spending the next week putting it back together just to start the cycle all over again on Saturday nite. Now, I can build them once and the move on to the next project. I just haven't figured out how to build a car in a week like on TV. It takes me 3-5 years every time.

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
I grew up with it, my dad was a body man for 40 something years (retired now), so I would say it was all in the blood. He had a 36 Ford, an AMX, a couple of El Caminos, he built my mom a 67 Mustang, a Cuda, heck, more cars than I can remember to be honest. I just really remember as a youngster sitting in the garage or in the driveway of many cool cars, very clean, and never seemed to leave the driveway. My dad would always make them perfect, never drive them and then sell them. Of course to this day, "I should have kept that car", he says that about all of them.

My first car he built for me a 70 El Camino, pearl white paint, Cragar SS wheels, gray leather interior, nasty little small block. I loved it, but like a 16 year old idiot, I just had to have a new Z28. Well that new Z28 lasted 3 weeks before being a total. So, I got a new S-10, put a small block in it, lowered, fancy wheels. When I was 29 (now 31) I decided I want to do this some more, my dad as well. So I got a 41 Willys, and the fire is all lit again. When this one is done, might sell it too, or keep it and start something else.

Jason

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
My dad was a saleman and honestly knew very little about hotrodding. But he bought 55 Ford F-100 when I was about six years old and had a mechanic at the shop swap into it a 57 364 Buick Nailhead. So I had that at home, and my older brother (five years older) was already bit by the bug and doing stuff. But probably the biggest influence was a guy down the street (my God fathers real son). He had HOT RODS in the driveway most every day. People visiting, him building them.. I remember some pretty cool stuff over there. American Graffitti was also a HUGE influence. After seeing that movie at 14 or maybe early 15 I HAD to have a custom. My brother had a 50 Dodge sedan in the yard and I begged him for it. He "gave" it to me and I did my first "Shaving" by moulding the hood emblems off. :)

The car got junked and I bought my 48 Chevy pickup with paper route money just before I turned 16 and had the roof cut off a few months later. :)

I was hooked on hot rods and doing body repair.

Brian

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
LOL, I have been posting those photos on forums for about eight years and EVERY single time I do, those pants are mentioned. :) They were cool wern't they?

Brian

·
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor
123 Posts
Brian you might start a new fashion trend with those pants. Could make you some serious funds for a Hot Rod. :D

Call'em bodyman pants. :thumbup:
TT

Oh yeah,
My Dad got me started, then I dated a girl in high school which her Dad and other Craftsmen in the neighborhood built Street Rods. I've been around it all my life in some form. Now I am passing it on to my daughter. Remember, take a kid to a car show.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
My dad got me a job pumping gas at a Standard station when I graduated in 1977. I got tight with a few gearheads about the same time I bought my 69 Camaro (for 400 bucks).

My dad was always sorry he got me that job.

tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
question about classifieds.

If I post a classified and 50 people make offer or want to buy,how do I know that .Hoow can I put info on about them buying my ride?I put an add on and after awhile it said sold.I never got any E mails or anything .What should I do to do it properly? :confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
So what got you into hotrodding

Ok ! Im not Gonna lie , unlike the rest of You ?
The Chick's in National Geographic Magazines , Just Didnt do it for me !!!!
Ho , Ho < ha, Ha , Hee, hee, Hee Ha , Ha, Knee Slappin, Chuckle, Chuckle , snort , snort !
Seriously , I grew up 1/2 mile from Devil's Play ground . 100 Mile's down a dirt road , from nearest town of any size . Baker Ca. was 35 miles away if you can call it a Town ?
Went too a 1 Room school House K-8th Grade ,32 kidd's in are school .
Chicken's , Duck's , Geese , Runnin around the School yard .
Back in them day's no Satelite Tv . Small town of Kelso , was so deep down in a bowl , we had no TV reception .
I Started driving, car's at Age of 7 Year's old . First Motorcycle at 7.
We Kelso Kidds would gather At , My Buddy's Mom and Dad's house , where we would all take turns ridin around the block on Various , Motor Cycles and or Go Cart's , Dune Buggies.
When we werent doin that ? We would play Ratt patrol in the Kelso Dune's AKA Devil's Play Ground !
I grew up off Route 66 in the Desert and too this day I live almost with in Spittin distance of RTE 66 .
My Uncles were all Street racer's from the 50's and 60's thru the 70's even today they still have Ride's .
Can remember 1 of my most impressive moment's , Was when my Youngest Uncle showed up fresh out of, the Vietnamm War . With his bayonett , welded and chromed into the sissy bar of his Honda 750 K hardtail Chopper .
Book's and Magazines were all I had . Except for a Scrawny Stick I had for a freind . And it Broke !
I was 15 year's old before I got too watch Tv on regularly daily Basis , and too this Day I still have a Crush On Marry Ann , From Gilligan's Island .
Short of the New's I still dont watch much TV , Except for Nick at Night .
Hmmmmm Go figure that, american Hot Rodd, OC Choppers etc ? But I sure miss cruiseing Dad's Jeep around the Mojave Desert !
Maybe some of you are famaliar with the Devil's Play ground , in the Mojave Desert ?
Easy on me . I get real upsett that they portray me in Hollywood B- rated movies as a filthy nasty unkempt, cannibalistic psycho path !
Least im not doin Dope and makin lousy Movies , with my same sex Spouse, in Holly Wood Hill's ??????
Sean

·
StreetRods & Customs Forever
62 Posts
What got you into Hot Roding

George Barris, Gene Winfield, Bill Hines, Dick Corkes and many others were becoming Famous when I was a Kid OH MY GOD AM I OLD, reading every Kustom, and Hot Rod small magazines I could get my hands on, and at 16 a friend and I went partners on a 48 Ford Coupe ($50.00 to Buy, and a lot of money in 52), we chopped the top, welded it back together using clothes hangers, as welding wire was too costly, Bondo just came out, was in 2 separate tubes then, mixing the 2 together, installed a 50 Oldsmobile grill, then I decided to go into the Army, and my buddie bought my half of the car. Been Hooked ever since. :)

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
when I was about 10 or so, me and my dad were coming back from the Fingerlakes ( central ny ) towing our boat, stopped to gas up the truck, whail my dad was pumping the gas, a '32 Ford Vicky 2dr sedan hotrod pulled up, fully fendered, 4 or 6" chop, all 4 corners. it was a deep purple, sounded real nice. I'v loved cars ever since that. Part of the reason I'm painting my '51 Chevy Deep purple, is because of that car, even tho my color was done custom for me, to match my interior, and nobody else has it ( I have the color #'s tho )

1 - 20 of 42 Posts