Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the thread we were discussing this topic in got dumped, and I forgot your handle...whomever it was that stated they had experience doing this converson please get back on the topic please.

I'm just curious as to what info you might be able to pass on.

Of course any one else with some pertinent information or just curious about this kind of thing can post, but no "Import" bashing please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John.

I belong to all the Porsche related forums and various boards. There is even a Porschev one that is specifically for those interested in doing the conversions.

I like to get input from everywhere. Since this is one of the cars that I will be keeping for myself I am going to do this as close to ideal as possible.

My thinking is this, for the Chevy end of things, tap the resources of those who are as knowledgable possible in that arena, thus the interest here.

Not to mention there is more 'shadetree' info here than any other site that I have been to.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Porshe/Chevrolet Conversion

There are probably about a hundred people who have done this but one of them is a friend of mine. He told me yesterday at the Houston, Texas, Autorama that he has a patent on some of the parts and in fact had the patent certicicate on display with two of the Porshes he had in the show - I think a 911 and a 933.
If you'd like, I can get the information on how to contact him in the next few days.
We don't hang out together so I don't have his phone number and all I've ever called him is Slim but I can get the phone number and/or computer address by calling a mutual friend tomorrow.
Send me a personal reply if you'd be interested because I don't get on this site every day.
Slim - if you're on this web site already take it from here...
Cocktail Charlie Smith
Galveston
('70 Camaro "Cocktail Shaker")

·
Registered
133 Posts
:welcome: My buddy and I did one. http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/The-Nightmare-Begins?page=1 and http://community.webshots.com/album/115514719HIbJCh/1 and http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/album29 We picked up a kit on ebay from these guys http://www.renegadehybrids.com/ and basically replicated it. We did run their clutch plate for simplicity sake. I think when everything was done we only had a about $300 in it. The Renegade kits are big $$$ and not really all that nice. They use a blank bellhousing and redrill the hole for the input shaft so you can just bolt it to the Porsche torque tube. The hokiest part was they used a used bearing throwout bearing guide cut off of the front of an old transmission! Then they put a hydrolic ram down on the clutch fork, right under the oil filter. So everytime time you want to change the filter, guess what you get to do. We used a used Tilton magnesium circle track scatter shield for our bellhousing, also an ebay score. It had a removeable backing plate. Another friend of ours cut us out our own backing plate and we were in buisiness. The best bet would to run an LT1 in your car. They have better hood clearence. We went with a carb and it sticks way the heck throught the hood.(hence the scoop) Radiator water pump clearences are pretty tight too. Use a short water pump. My buddy is swapping his out for an electric pretty soon. I cut up a set of old shorty headers for the exhaust. A bit crude, but they work. The transaxle held out pretty good, but he grenaded the motor before he really got to give it a beatin'. I understand that the turbo cars have a pretty beefy unit, but they are generally big $$$.(but you should know that) If you'd like, pm me and get you his email. He's pretty helpful and is planning on doing another car for street use, using an LT1 this time.:welcome:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Franken.

I actually picked up a complete Renegade kit on ebay as of yesterday. Bellhousing, headers, y pipe, motor mounts, clutch assembly, and all for a little over $900. It is the kit for the 924 which is no longer offered by RH. A guy bought it 10 years ago and never installed it.

Tranny needs to be upgraded to 944. The NA 924 driveshaft is only 22mm and will snap like a twig. Need to get a 944 unit with LSD. They have a 25mm shaft.

I am going LT1 also. I have decided to just get a running Camaro and use the FI and everything, maybe throw in a Megasquirt II, all that I am still working out the specifics. Will rebuild the motor of course and see if I can tweek it a bit to increase production.

I also plan on having the useful components of the RH kit replicated for future use and sale. If they are not going to cater to the 924 crowd then I will.

Thanks for the link and keep in touch and let me know how things go with your next attempt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:welcome: Your planning on doing a regular old 924? If it's a 924S, it basically the same thing as a 944. Same motor/trans etc, and completely different from the regular 924. When we built the car my buddy was going to do the LT1. They were selling like 2-3 a week at the salvage auction. He went to pick up a '96 TA that was pretty busted up. It had LT4 badging all over it and he wasn't really sure if it was the real deal and bailed out on the bidding at $1150. D'oh! The 6 spd would have went for about that. To top it all off, there wasn't another LT1 until a month later. Not even a crappy old taxi! Hehe, if you are intrested, I have a '87 924S I wouldn't mind getting rid of. It's black/black, no rust and pretty straight. It doesn't have a title, but that should be no problem. It actually has the motor out of the 944 in it right now.(yes, that thing actually ran, pretty good too.) I couldn't get the thing to start after installing it in the car. Very rarely do I get ticked off at a car, but this one has irritated me. It's something simple, like a bad ground. $900 for the complete kit is a pretty decent price. What do you think of the quality? I didn't know they actually made a kit fot the regular 924. A different buddy of mine called and talked to the owner(of RH) about building a 924. He was strongly against it. He said the chassis was too weak. That's really funny because it's esentially the same car as a 44. Where at in SE Mi? I'm originally from Monroe.:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Waterford. They stopped making the 924 kit a few years ago. That is why I jumped on this one. The dude bought it 10 years ago and never used it.

The real reason RH stopped doing the early 924 kit was because of the weak tranny needing to be replaced with a 944 unit. That was before you could get the trans for 300 bucks (non LSD) and the 924 for free, or pretty damn close. The chassis are 99% identicle to the 944. Cross member is different and rear shock mount diameter, that's about it.

I have 5 924's as it is, if I get another one, I'm divorced for sure. Thanks for the offer though. If you want to give me some details I can shop it around and see if anyone in your area is looking for one.

I'll let you know on the quality once I get it. Bidding ended yesterday.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:drunk: Wow! 5 pieces of German lawn art! Nobody I know around here has a desire for a 924 that I know of.(hence me offering up mine) If it were a turbo or 44, then maybe. My buddy has 2 44's, and owned the 24 for a few months before it came back to me. The silver car in the pix was bought for $443 including taxes. He also picked up a pretty nice 44T for $650. All it needs a rear main or something. When he bought it we thought the motor was cooked and it was going to get the LT1, but not so. He may be selling it to another one of our friends. Your right about some of the stuff being cheap. A local yard out here charges the same no matter what the part is from. Within the last year, I've had at least 3 opportunities to grab the transaxle out of one for $79 or so. I talked to dude today and he said he wouldn't mind if I ship you his email. He's pretty knowledgeable. Also read, spends too much time online.:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks BigKat. I belong to those boards. Very informative.

How do you like your 914-8's?

I bet those babies are quick!:mwink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
:D I worked with a kid who's dad had a '72 914 with a 327 in it. I rode in it a couple times and it was a hoot! The car was super clean and nice, it believe it even had European bumpers. Too bad however, he had it parked out behind the shop on the street and one of our non-driving delivery drivers ran it over with a semi! He hooked it with the trailer tires and dragged it 50ft. I thought the kid was going to kill him. Very sad moment. So how do you like the quality of the Renegade kit?:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The RH kit is pretty decent. Motor mounts are pretty crude, but the headers are real nice. Sill on the fence as far as investing any money in reproducing things.

I am trying to finish one other project before I really get into the V8 conversion. Thinking hard obout doing a SBC with dual weber side draft carbs. I found an intake manifold for such a beast and it will solve my hood clearence issues I think. Not to mention I have a couple sets of webers already. Any thoughts on the kind of performance I can expect with these?

I helped build a sweet GT40 replica using quad weber downdrafts and it kicked out around 500 hp, so I know they are going to yield decent power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Have An 86 944 Porsche Which Was A 4 Cyl. Automatic Equipped Car . Drove It Until Motor Blew A Head Gasket. Was Going To Fix Until I Did Some Price Checking . Being A Sheet Metal Fabricater And Welder By Trade I Took The Most Economical Path I Could Find And Put A 350 4 Bolt Main Chevy Engine In It. I Cut A Piece Of 3/8 Inch Steel To Match Bellhousings On Chevy Engine To Porsche And Welded Holes On Porsche Flywheel And Redrilled To Match Chevy Crank . I Had Original Porsche Starter Beefed Up To Handle Extra Tourqe Of Chevy Engine . Car Is Awsome . Have Over 30000 Miles On This Combo No Problems . Just Dropped In A New 355 With 500 Plus Hp . This Car Is Quick And It Handles Really Nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts