Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have noticed that some of the new high end BMW Audi Mercs etc have soft close doors. Does anyone make an after market conversion or has anyone tried fitting these latches to a hot rod project. How do the electronics work in them. Any advice welcome as I would like to fit them to my car

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Cadillac has been doing that for awhile now on the deck lid. It seems like the early to mid 90s is when I started seeing them. Also Lincoln Mark 8s, now that I think of it.

These may be simpler, and more affordable than the new stuff.
That is a really good idea. Keep us posted. I have a G Body that really needs to have the door shut with lots of gusto. I hate this because all my other cars close nicely. I end up slamming them after I drive the Monte for a day or two...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Mercedes, and BMW I believe are pneumatic. As a matter of fact I know that the Mercedes are. I see no reason why they could not be incorporated into a Hotrod project. BTW, it's called "Close Assist". Check out your local "U-Pullit" for mid 90's S class. You should be able to get everything you need pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I bet you could use a gas shock with a fulcrum that would assist in closing the door.
Just have the linkage so the shock is extending to close the door.

Bit of work. But simple and could be hiden for a clean install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts