Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change the color of the soft top on my 29 ford Tudor from black (original) to white anyone ever do this?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In the 50s-60s-70s it was common for Model As and other cars with soft tops to have the material replaced with various colors of Vinyl material. No sweat.

If you're talking about dyeing the existing material, there are various makers of vinyl dyes but how effective or longlasting they might be on an exterior configuration is another thing. One thing for sure, follow the instructions for the product you use to the letter.
GM routinely has recolored vinyl material for vinyl tops and seat covers over the years. I once worked on an old Cadillac Sedan De Ville which was black on black. A polisher inadvertantly wiped the vinyl...it was YELLOW, yes, bright sunshine yellow, under the staid black cover. YEOW! A friend's anniversary Corvette had silver seats that, after 2-3 years, started turning YELLOW, yes bright sunshine yellow, as the silver dye wore off. I think GM ordered too much yellow vinyl once upon a time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts