Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
go to "Hot Rod search" then to "company rerview", see if there is any info there.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Solar welders

Iam not 100% sure but I believe Solar welders were privately labeled and were manufactured by Century welders. I'm about 99% sure though.:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I borrowed one from a friend once. I was doing some welding on exhaust tubing. It has about a 3% duty cycle. A total piece of crap in my opinion as it took about 20 minutes to weld around the tube. Weld for a few seconds, wait for it to reset, weld for a few seconds.......

Wally

·
Registered
248 Posts
wally8 said:
I borrowed one from a friend once. I was doing some welding on exhaust tubing. It has about a 3% duty cycle. A total piece of crap in my opinion as it took about 20 minutes to weld around the tube. Weld for a few seconds, wait for it to reset, weld for a few seconds.......

Wally
What welder and model did you borrow? If there was only 3% duty cycle, there was something wrong with that welder. Maybe it should have been checked out by a service center. I have used Centry welders, stick and mig both for 30 years. I have owned 4 different ones, 2 stick and 2 migs and never had a problem with them. The 2 I have now are used daily in my shop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well the one I used only had a high and low setting for the voltage. It was also only rated at a 10% duty cycle according to the documentation that was with it. I assume that must have been on the low setting. I'm not sure what you could have welded on the low setting; maybe tinfoil?

It had the gas kit on it and I was using straight CO2 on it with the smallest wire (.023?). I'm sure it could have been something I was doing as I'm no expert, but I've used a lot of migs from the small ones to big ones and this one seemed worthless.

I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend it to anyone. Maybe there are other models (I can't remember the number) but if it is similar to what I described, I would pass on it.

Maybe I'm just too demanding though. I don't like any of the name brand 110V stuff either.

The only experience I have with Century is getting on the wrong end of one of their electric fence supplies :)

Later....
Wally

·
Registered
248 Posts
wally8 said:
Well the one I used only had a high and low setting for the voltage. It was also only rated at a 10% duty cycle according to the documentation that was with it. I don't like any of the name brand 110V stuff either.

The only experience I have with Century is getting on the wrong end of one of their electric fence supplies :)

Later....
Wally
The welder you borrowed was a low end Solar 110v that was imported for them, I believe it was 40amps on the low setting and 65amps on the high setting, yes it was pretty much useless.
The Solar 2160 is a 130 amp welder and was designed for body shop use and I understand from a few people that it is a decent welder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts