Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mechanical roller lifter questions

I have some older Comp roller lifters that I plan to use on a street engine. The lifters have a solid oil band with no EDM hole for axle oiling and the oil orfices that supply oil for the pushrods are inline with the wheel so there is minimal oil for the top end(lifter bore clearance oil only). Other lifters I have seen have the orfices at 90 deg to the wheel so they "see" the oil gallery. I thought these were a bargain but now I suspect they are race only and need to be modified for successful life on the street.

I am thinking of grinding a small slot through each hole to connect the oil band to the lube hole and a small slot externally to oil the wheel axle. I don't want to/can't modify the lifter bores as the bottom end is significantly assembled.

Your recommendations please.

Note:I already have the mechanical roller cam.

:confused:

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I would grind a flat spot on the lifter from the band to the bottom of the lfter. 90 degrees to the axle. This will lube the roller and its bearings.. Doesn't take much of a flat spot. .010 or so wide a couple of thou deep. GM did this on some 3.1-3.4 V-6's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comp sbc 280AR

Comp 280AR 236 236 .550 .550 110LSA 106IC w 1.6 full rollers for .590 valve lift
Comp p/n 12-702-8

Valve Springs: PSI LS1511ML BeeHive
Seat: [email protected] Max Lift: [email protected] coil bind: 1.100"

Heads: IE 180's iron heads

I haven't finish assembled the cylinder heads and checked piston to valve clearance but this is the plan.
This engine will run mostly on the street so hence the concern over good oiling characteristics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.