Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking on advice on which brand of solid roller lifters for my 406 sbc, i already have the cam installed and ready to spend some more money, i was thinking about a set of Howard's, i see there are ones that are +.300 taller but not sure if i need them or just the standard height, any suggestions on a good reliable set for the street, open spring pressure is just about 500 lbs with 1.6 rockers, not racing but since i live in the country i like to get on it now and again, i have been running flat tappet solids so please dont suggest going to a hydraulic cam,any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
.3 taller is to shorten the push rod which stiffens it. If you're going for really high revs this is a must, but there is a trade between a heavier tappet and a stiffer push rod.

Bogie

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I would call Isky and ask for their recommendation of part number, depends on the block, the cylinder head, etc.
They must have 250 parts numbers for SBC lifters

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read these comments several times. I don't see where you say you installed a roller cam. Is your cam a roller cam? Not trying to be a wise guy, but, it is important!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it is a solid roller, it is installed in an engine i am building for next spring, been buying parts as i go along since the prices are crazy when you convert Canadian money to U.S., by the time i purchase and have the parts shipped to Canada the Isky roller lifters alone will be better part of a G-note,old saying you want to play you gotta pay,

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
you can buy discounted parts from engine builders instead of piece mealing the engine together. Let them pick the cam specs(a lot smarter than using a custom grinder) and ask for the complete kit including gaskets,chain, maybe balancer etc. There box of everything is or can be a good deal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts