Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted the front end of a car that had damage and repaired. I got solvent pop (tiny bubbles in clear), in the paint. I thought, maybe because I added a little reducer to the clear to make it flatten out better (it worked before). So, the second attempt, straight clear. More solvent pop. It's in the pattern of the spray gun path. Third try, after sanding, base coat and clear. Waited longer between coats, maybe 45 minutes to one hour. More pop, always different area but same pattern. I'm thinking, maybe too hot in the garage (upper 80's) and drying too fast. Or, maybe spray gun tip is worn out. Bought a new (better) spray gun. Verified all my gun settings, sanded, thin color coat and three coats of clear. More solvent pop but smaller bubbles. Did the wax and grease, clean surface, waiting up to an hour between coats of clear. I've been painting cars for 20 years and never had the same issue over and over like this. What's going on??? I'm ready to take it to Maco.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
True Hotrodder
1,328 Posts
Honestly sounds like the clear and activator are having the issue, not your setup or gun. I would take it back to the supplier, request they try it and of course replace the product for you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That sucks. I know its frustrating. The only time I've ever seen solvent pops, are in my runs!
Also, a painter told me long ago to never walk away after you paint a car and close all the doors. Always let it flash off before you go home for the day/night.
I'm not saying that is what's happening. Actually, if you have been spraying for 20 years, and never had this problem, I'm with Chase and would bet you got a bad batch of clear...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I called the place that I buy my paints and asked if they've had any issues with other customers and they say, no issues. But, the first time I painted it was over a year ago. So it was a different batch of clear. Now, we decided to sell the car so wanted to fix the paint and the last three coats have been with new or different brands. But the recent brand is Smart Classic Clear with medium activator. Temperature, here in Northern CA has been mid 70's while painting. And yes, I have seen solvent bubbles in runs before. Those are annoying. Don't understand the comment about letting it flash off before going home? After I have three or so coats on, I wait a day or two before I start color sanding. Related?
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes, about the walking away from it part. I always remember a painter who sprayed a car complete, then went home because it was late in the evening. When we came in in the morning solvent pop City! There was no circulation with all the doors closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You sure it’s solvent pop? Could be water in the air line (especially if your compressor is running a heavy duty cycle). They look similar (tiny craters). Also make sure not to lay your coats down too wet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, could be water in the air line. I have a filter but it's getting old. I have been waiting to hear from a local hotrod painter and he thinks it's something called "seeding". Sound right? It's from cheap paint (Omni) that collects dust from the strainer and comes out in the base coat. Haven't heard of this before. I'm taking the car to him next weekend to see it in person. Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts