Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started painting the inside doors and fenders on my truck. I did the standard soap and water wash and superclean wipedown. When I started spraying the base coat it looked like in places I was spraying on wax or something, like fish eyes everywhere. I know the surfaces were clean though. After letting the first coat dry, for grins I tryed another. It went on perfectly and seemed to smooth out the blouches from the first coat. I took a fender and showed the paint store and the rep said it was "Solvent Popping. He said the cleaner was bonding with the paint and releasing when The base reducer/stabilizer hit it. Is this true? I noticed this a little last weekend in a few spots but not as bad. My shop was a little cooler this weekend though(about 70 inside). The paint rep said it would be fine and adhesion would still be good. Does this sound correct? He suggested I just use enamel reducer in the future instead of the cleaner. I just dont want to start on the exterior until I am confident this is not going to cause problems down the road. I am using Martin Seniour Urethane Base.

Thanks,

chris

· Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, should have been clearer. I used Super Clean, a wax and grease remover after the soap and water.

Also, After I applied the second coat of base it all smoothed out. I went ahead and shot a clear coat to see how it reacted. Everything looked perfect. No lifting or anything.

I have only done the inside of the fenders and doors to this point. Is there a chance that later on the paint will start to delaminate? I am thinking this will be a resounding YES. I am definately going to stop using soap though as I am sure this was probably the problem.

Thanks for the input guys. I am still learning all the little oh sh!ts of painting. I have a few jobs under my belt, but I seem to learn something new everytime.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.