Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent a couple hours at the Arizona Deuce Day show in Glendale yesterday. About 150 '32 Fords of all types at one of the local Ford dealers in Phoenix. Nice show but it never ceases to amaze me when it comes to some of the total blow hards you meet at shows.

Was talking to a fellow who was considering buying and building a glass car soon. He asked about manufacturers and their quality and I told him to stay away from Streetbeast for sure. Then we talked about Wescott, ******* and a couple others. When Gibbons was mentioned this bozo standing a few feet away overheard it and starts ranting about how crappy they are and of course he knows the Gibons family personally. This know it all claims to be retired from the paint and body business and now he builds deuces and sells them as a hobby and he only uses N&N bodies. He tells the guy I was talking to that he can build him one cheaper than he can build one himself. Should have walked away at that line of bull, but didn't.

Since Mr. Know-it-all is a paint and body pro, naturally the conversation moves to paint and he starts whining about how expensive his favorite paint is. Claims it cost him $900 (with his professional discount) to get a gallon of PPG Concept black to paint this VW he's restoring for his grand daughter. Now I'm no pro painter but I wasn't born yesterday either so I call him on that line of BS. Of course he gets in my face being all huffy and lays down a line of BS about the cost of paint that amazed even me. After a minute I told him to pull someone else's leg for a while and just walked away. He does have a nice deuce roadster though and it was in R&C a couple months ago. Got a close look at the car and it was very well built.

Decided to check with my PPG supplier today just for grins and a gallon of PPG Concept single stage Urethane in triple black, which is what Mr. Know-it-all claimed cost him $900 with his discount, from my supplier only costs me $258.95.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dv

Is that how you got your handle DV?I was in my rat last year and I really like to tick these SOB's off.Its gotten now to be a hobby of mine as much as HOt Rods.This Dude and his dudette came up and he was telling her how usafe my ride was and all and that he wouldnt even try to drive that safety hazard piece of junk.I told the dude it wasn't mine but he could take a crack at my buddy next me in his vette,This dude is so big man he makes that 57 look like a pedal car.Well the dude turned and Mike stood up out of his chair.Hes about 6 10 or so and he do not have a neck at all.He said If your talking about his rat I built that front end,and the transverse springs set the geometry on about a 2 degree negative caster an exellant setting for 150 MPH staps on the gas.The dude kurled up to the dudette and split and not a word was said.Later that day the dudette was over at mikes vette checking it out with one eye on the vette one eye on mike and the other eye on me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yep!! there is always some body in a crowd that feels that what he don'I know isn't worth knowing,, I have no reason to even have a conversation with anyone like that,, No matter what you talk about,, his version is always the only way,,

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I generally let the know-it-alls live in their dream world. If they are happy living in a cloud - so be it. I am all too well aware that I can be difficult at times (and did spend some time in another type of forum sitting in a corner for a while) so choose to let them run off at the mouth until I decide it's BS and walk away instead of challenging their drivel - it keeps me away from folks carrying a badge.

Yep, paint is expensive - especially if it has any red pigments or pearl in the formula but black and white - they are still (almost) reasonably priced.

I was talking with a guy at Syracuse a couple of years ago - had a gorgeous '32 roadster. My conversation lasted all of about 3 minutes, the length of time it took me to figure out that it was strictly a check book car that he knew nothing about except it was a '32, it had a Chevy motor and it was a trailer queen (and that's grist for another thread :p :D :D )

Dave W

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Favor time LOL

Since he is paying $900 maybe you should have got some for him and passed along a discount and charge him $700 a gallon :mwink: "a fool and his money are easily parted" :D

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
No Moon, my name has a simple origin to it. But I`ll explain it all. I use this name in almost every account I have in various places unless it`s taken. It doesn`t come from drugs or alcohol, I drink a few beers now and then but I`ve never did a illegal drug in my life and I`m proud of that fact. The name came from one beautiful day at the mud races way back in 1991 or 92. A truck came to race from out of town, it was a late 70`s short wheel base fleetside chevy. It was triple black, and on the side in gold alienish letters said "DoubleVision II"
The truck was so beautiful it stopped me in my tracks, we were video taping it so I still have the film to look back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had one come into my store when I was still in Auto Parts and I told him I liked his custom paint job on his Cutlass. He immediately went on for about 10 minutes as to the prep, how many hours he and his friend worked on the car, and how they layed the paint out(meantime 2 of my employees are dying behind the counter). Started telling the order they layed the colors down and how he picked the custom scheme, colors, etc, etc. I finally had enough told him he was full of S--- to his face and he said "HUH?" My employees already knew and I proceeded to tell him I was the P.O. on the car, and I painted it........he was so embarrassed he huffed out of the store without asking for anything, and we all had a real good laugh. Jerry

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
I meet them all the time.. :spank: I mostly like the one's that tell you all kind of BS and you ask them where's your car ??? And they say: I don't have one right now.. A guy asked me the other night, if I was selling my car..He was looking at my frame at a show.. I said ya !!! He said: How much..I said $38K... He said for a 41 willys,, Are you crazy !!!!! :eek: I told him: Your looking at $16K right there just in the frame.. He then said: Well that's only $16k.. Why are you asking so much??? I looked at him and said you Dumb A**.. It's $16k more for the body to put on that frame.. :spank: :spank: I then told him: Where I went to school that will now be $16K + $16k = $32k Don't you think I need to make a little money For all the work I put into it ??? I then said I don't have any more time to spend talking to someone that has no Idea at all about car's !!! Bye !! Bye !! Dumb a**.... :spank: :smash: :welcome:

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I hear ya New Interiors.

Right after the first resto on my 66 back in 1983 ...

I was approached by some liquored-up ******* in the parking lot of the local 7-11. (Luckily he and his buddies parked on the opposite side.)

"Hey (hic) ... that's a really nice truck! Wanna sell it?"

"No, thanks for the interest and the compliment, too ... but I think I'll keep it for a while." (OK, I guess I meant a LONG while. ;) )

"Are ya sure buddy? Hell, I'll give ya $3,000.00 for it right now!"

"Ummm, that would JUST ABOUT pay for the paint and chrome. You have yourself a good night, OK?"

*Laughs and drives off, shaking my head.*

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
there was a guy who came into my driveway and asked if I wanted to sell my '51 Chevy Fleetline ( I was working on it ).. asked him how much he would spend ( not that I'd really sell it ). he told me $500. I told him I paid more for it than that and at that time got it running, started to clean it up, strip the paint and do some bodywork.. then he said he was going to give me his number for when I was ready to sell it, he would give me $600 for it.. then proceeded to tell him, even IF I ever decided to sell it, it would not be to him and certainly NOT for $600

·
Registered
35 Posts
yea the most doller i have given for paint is the 4 stage HOK thats getting discontinued and it was like 657 for the system i even got the primer and that was with my discount but yea i go to all kinds of shows theres some guy who knows more than you there i and 21 and i have learnd from all the old guys that have wanted to pass on an old trade led work 50s carson tops the way headlights and other things get frenched in etc and i dont know it all by all means i learn something every day and i have been watching and learning and am good enough to owne my owne shop in NC but i am still amazed when i go to shows handing out cards and overhearing people just make ***** out of there selvs

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
Gee, I thought the D-A's only found me at these shows?

Back in the 1980's when we could actually cruise Central ave in Phoenix.. I had a Pro-street 69 Camaro, Yellow, 6-71 blown BBC

About once a month some blow hard would tell me " they had or they were building an exact Camaro" at home. So , being the kinda guy I am , i would tell these folks "get in my car , lets go see it NOW"

I never heard so many excuses of why we could not go see the car .... :D

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Crosley said:
About once a month some blow hard would tell me " they had or they were building an exact Camaro" at home. So , being the kinda guy I am , i would tell these folks "get in my car , lets go see it NOW"

I will have to give that one a try....lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some people are REALLY funny. Some people are REALLY stupid.

It's best to keep your sense of humour. Drives those kind of folks batty,
Even feed them disinformation.

Funniest ones usually start with;
1 I have a friend that ...
2 My buddy has a...
3 We had an original...

for every one idiot, there's usually 10 really cool car admirers. The idiots stand out more

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve met some idiots at parts stores. There was a nice 69 Camaro sitting in the parking lot, deck stripes, correct wheels, interior really nice. The owner was walking out and I said "Nice Z28 clone" and he said "Clone? that`s not a clone! that`s a real Z28!" and I said "I dunno who told you that, but Z28`s didn`t come with factory air conditioning" his face turned red and he drove off huffed. Another fellow pulled up in the parking lot in a 84 corvette on a nice summers day, he opened the hood and I just snuck a peek at it. I walked in and got the things I needed and walked back out. He was talking to the parts guy (who has no clue how to work on vehicles) about what could be wrong with it as the car he said had no power and ran too warm. The car originally had cross fire injection (cease fire injection as I call it) and had been switched to a edelbrock performer and holly carb. So while they stood there thinking I noticed the distributor hadn`t been changed, and we all know the ECM controlled HEI`s had no mechanical or vacuum advance.
So I said "There`s the problem, whoever did this swap didn`t change the distributor, this one is ECM controlled and without the computer it has no advance" So instead of listening, the parts guy said "that wouldn`t cause it not to have any power or run too hot" in a sarcastic tone and the owner of the car believed him. I shook my head and said "I love it when parts store boys think they`re mechanics just because they work at a parts store"
One other time was when I was Autozone just to get some detailing supplies. There was a guy at the parts counter in front of me talking to the guy on the computer, they were talking about small block chevy`s and crank kits. The guy said his 350 had spun a bearing, and that he had a 305 with a good bottom end, he wanted to know would the cranks interchange. The parts guy, a young kid, told him they wouldn`t. I said "There the same stroke, the 305 crank will drop right in the 350" the parts guy went beserk and told me they wouldn`t because his computer said so. He bet me his check they wouldn`t so I added more fuel to the fire by telling him the 267 crank was the same as well. This made the kid go crazy. So he looked up crank kits for the 3 small blocks and found the crank casting number was 442. Needless to say, he wasn`t about to hand over his check. I laughed at him and said "you should make it a point not to bet on something you know nothing about. I didn`t and don`t want your pathetic check, but somebody else may have taken it out of your a** kid"

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
That's why I usually keep my mouth shut unless I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

It wasn't long ago that I thought a $10K paint job was BS. But with the little experiance I have now, I can see it's possible at shop rates.

I priced up some top of the line PPG Vibrance II tri coat. Was actually pleased to see the base and candies were all about $300 a gallon.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
These just crack me up, if I was to write a book, this is the subject it would be on, screw writing one on how to paint a car.

The best one that ever happened to me, is years ago I had restored a 60’s model goat a rather rare one and I had a year of nights and 30 hour weekends doing every nut and bolt on this car.
The car ended up being bought as I was starting to paint by a well known collector, finished up the car and it was gone.

So 7 years later at a big show seven states away and I see my car and owner no where to be found, looking over the car and this bodyshop owner has a potential customer who he is showing this car and telling him how he restored it, now that was ok but the hard part is when he said it had PPG on it but I ignored and walked away.

Next day I ran into the owner of the car and he was just laughing his a** off, the potential customer had cornered him, questioning him about the shop, that want to paint his goat.

Car shows have just burnt me out; wife will drag me to one once in a while but it is no longer fun to listen to the BS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.