Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a pal a while back that somebody out there was making upper A arms for 39 Pontiac. The 39 has a shock absorber-A-arm, the shocks on my 39 are toasted and I want to sub a MSII front end, but can't due to the frame rail at that point... so maybe new "normal" A arms and some dropped spindles would get me where I'm going? I'd then have to rebuild the whole thing, but at least I wouldn't have to cut the frame off and stick on a sub-frame.

Thanks for reading.

R

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

Your Pontiac should make a nice car......:D

I, as a general rule, discourage frame clips. In your case.........that may be the best route. The Pontiac is bigger and heavier than a MII and then you would need upgraded brakes ( 9 inchers just are not enough ) . A narrowed 79ish Malibu could be the answer. I see by your photos that your can weld and fabricate so I believe you could pull the job off...............so many cannot.

Just be careful about the front tread width. I would tuck the wheels under just a tad. A Malibu or other GM front clip may work out great. Just take a few measurements of the Pontiac and go the the bone yard and look. Good luck hunting.........to me..........that's the fun of cars.........finding the right stuff.

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your 39 pontiac is like a chevy from the same era (and you know it is!:) ), then it is using the Knee action shocks set up. My 41 cad has the same thing. Did you know that you can get the shocks rebuilt for about $125 each? Sounds high, but I bet you'll pay close to that for a set of arms.

I put a 81 camaro clip under the cad. It fit fine. The chevy/pontiac may have a smaller treadwidth, but it might be worth checking out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts