Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to start my car every other day but when I end up skipping a couple of days, my car won't start when I go to start it, I have to try anywhere from 3-6 times for it to start and then after waiting a minute after it is started to let it warm up so I can rev it a little, it sometimes kills out, I have a Ford V-8 292 in there if that helps, also when I get it started and I have it run for a few mins. and I turn the car off and go around back of it and underneath the muffler tips there is a black liquid little puddle. What is this and what can I do to remedy these things? TIA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Educated guess

Sounds like carb is leaking down and floods engine with raw fuel untill it refills and warms up.Fuel picks up carbon deposits on its way out the tailpipe,thus the black liquid. Rebuild carb and go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carb

Thank You Very Much, any specifics I need to know when I rebuild the carb, do I just take it apart clean it up and change gaskets and stuff?Thank You Again.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Are you in a cold part of Nevada right now? Could also be a choke problem.Definently in the carb though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really

It gets cold here at night, but lately during the day it has been pretty warm, I sometimes leave the house in shorts and a t shirt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
carb kit

All good carb kits have all the necessary hard parts and gaskets to do a good rebuild. Clean all parts and open all passages,re assemble per instructions,should be good to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Thank You Very Much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will like auto zone or checker sell a carb rebuild kit? Or will I have to go on the internet and find one? TIA

·
Registered
111 Posts
carb kit

You may have to find a source that carries parts for older cars and trucks,there are lots of them around. Macs auto parts would be one. good luck.:thumbup:

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
I've had good luck with NAPA, what they don't have they can usually order. You probably have another good local independent somewhere -- the place the professional mechanics go....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Thank You I will check both places out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts