Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 72 elcamino i' building a 383 for it, trying to figure out if i should run the th400 or install a powerglide, and what rear end ratio to run, also if i should use a locker, posi, limited slip. or what. i want to drive the car on the street and run it at the track. gas miles doesnt matter. the car weighs around 3400lbs but its more around 3000 now. it came from the factory with a th 35o and a 400 was installed with a custom length drive shaft. how hard would it be to install a powerglide? i plan on running a 3600rpm stall and spraying a 200 shot of nitrous. so around 500 to 550 on motor and with nitrous maybe 750? i want a transbrake. any thoughts or help?

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
run a t-400 with trans brake. Upgraded input shaft and drum, 6 or 7 frictions per drum , 4 frictions in the intermediate clutch

Converter must be built strong for nitrous and tranz brake application. I'd suggest a nitrous controller so the shock load is less severe , although plenty of guys launch with a full 200 shot

·
More for Less Racer
20,928 Posts
orangecounty175 said:
what about a 700r4? the overdrive would be nice
Sure would, but you will spend probably $2000+ plus on just the trans, no converter included(more $$$) to get it to hold up.

Car is 800 lbs too heavy take advantage of a Powerglide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts