Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine ,that is a roofer , tells me that the sound deadening material such as dyna mat is nothing more than ice guard. I was wondering if anyone has used this, say inside of the door panels? It does look the same and a whole lot cheaper :confused:

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
It looks to me like it ought to do the job. Only one way to find out for sure and thats to give it a try.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Any roofing supplier can get you or sell you a product called Peel and Seal. It is an adhesive backed aluminized butyl rubber material. I have used it and actually compared it to Dynamat and it appears identical. Lowes home improvement store also carries it but only in 6"x25' rolls. I purchased a 36"x30' roll from a Mobile home manufacturer for $89 plus shipping. Most of the high dollar products marketed for insulation for street rods are nothing more than commercially available products that have 200% to 500% price markup and repackaged to make them look like they are made specifically for street rodders.

Vince

·
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up
282 Posts
I installed ice shield in my truck about 10 years ago. I attached a pic I just went out and took. I am getting ready to redo the truck and I will put ice shield on it again. I put one layer on the back cab wall and two on the floor. It made a big difference in the heat and sound in the cab...all for the better.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
[ Most of the high dollar products marketed for insulation for street rods are nothing more than commercially available products that have 200% to 500% price markup and repackaged to make them look like they are made specifically for street rodders.

Vince[/QUOTE]

This sounds about right, have seen similar things like this, it really pays to look close at products........................... nice catch and I might say perfect timing for my project are you reading my mind ................. not possible I do not have one......... LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used the ice shield on my cars,and I like what it does and costs. To form it around or over humps,if doing the floor,you can use a plumbers torch to get it more pliable. I have also used 3-m adhesive to make it bond better to the doors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts