Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I need your help.Im not the brighest star in the sky,but,im not the dimmest either.I advertised a motor for sell here in the classifieds,and got this responce.Its a little long,so please forgive me.Here goes Hello,My name is Nice Luis,I am interested to buy your 540 cid BBC,that you advertised.I want you to give me your last offering price,hope to hear from you today. My reply went like this,Hey Nice,6800$is the lowest I can go.I have invested 7600$,and since all the parts are still new in the box,I realy think they are worth my asking price.I may come down a hundred or so,but not more,Thanks Jason Heres where it gets strange,His reply went like this.........Thanks for your responce,I have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to inform you that payment w2ill get to you in a cashier check of $11,600 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.So you are requierd to deduct the cost of the 540 cid BBC,i.e. $6800 whenpayment gets to you and refund balance $4800 to my Agent via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.Since I reside in Fulham,London.After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come and pick up recepit of sale and take it to the airport for delivery down to my country,whilerecipt,papers and other necessary documents will be sent toyou via fedex courier to my customer.My client could send the check to you through fedex courier immediately.Please foward your full name!s, address and phone number. Sounds like a scam to me,but i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this.Thanks

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
How i've heard the scam works is they send you a check for more than the amount and they hope that you will send the extra amount back before you try and cash the check. I was getting them all the time while my classified ads were posted.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
As I have said before, it is kind of sad seeing how these Nigerian scams have degraded over the years. Used to be they would send out hand typed letters with impeccable English on very impressive letterhead. Now they send out spam emails that are obvious rip-offs of competitors with terrible grammar and unintelligible messages. I guess that is the nature of things, only the pioneers care about a quality product! Incidentally, these scams are Nigeria's #1 industry by far.

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,190 Posts
It is kinda sad. The English used to be very beautiful; I always suspected there were some Western-educated Americans or Britains involved in the scam. Here are some good ones:
I would like to take this opportunity to enlighten you more about how this transaction will work without any hitch.
Modalities on how the transfer will be done would be explained to you once we establish trust and confidence between ourselves.
Sequent to your last mail to me, I must inform you that I am glad for your willingness to join hands with me to conclude this business prospect and better ourselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.