Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
fat fendered fleetside
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's a source where you can get patterns for specific jobs?

right now I'm curious about marine upholstery, such as covers and canopies?
in the past I have done some auto jobs by mail, i.e. I had done in the past and saved patterns (such as G-body dashboards, and asst seat covers.)

as for the marine stuff
I know that there are several companies that you can buy ready made covers from, made for a specific vessel etc. I have a job that requires a color not offered by the OEM, and request to put more 'eisinglass' clear vinyl in some sections that the original cover never had.
existing patterns would be great, as this boat is in the water all the time and also too far away from me to be reasonable to make patterns myself.
The boat in question is a 30' searay sundancer...

if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears....

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
No, there is no source for existing patterns from any company that made them originally. How much do you think you'd have to pay for an original pattern? First of all, the seats in your Chevy (for example) aren't made in the Chevy factory, they are outsourced to other companies like Johnson Controls. Boat makers, other than large custom yacht makers, do not make their boat interiors or boat covers and canopies themselves, they outsource them and just install them.

You can't do custom cover work by mail, you need to have the boat to make things fit. There's no way, for example, to insure that any snaps that need to be put in the cover or canopy would line up with the studs on the boat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.