Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1986 Chevy one ton that uses the height-sensing proportioning valve above the rear axle. Is there a source for new or rebuilt valves, or am I stuck with finding a good used one? Thanks.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
barnym17 said:
Napa or the chevy dealer should be able to get it.
HAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

NAPA doesn't list ANY proportioning valves and Chevy doesn't show the part number in the system (this IS a nearly 25 year old truck). The GM part no. is 15538213 and PartsVoice doesn't show it either. I've also checked the Wagner catalog (they also do not list any prop valves), as well as RockAuto.

Any confirmed sources? I do not have an original, since the idiot previous owner decided to remove the valve. At least now I know why the rear brakes lock up. No, I do not want to install a manual aftermarket adjustable valve since this will be my wife's truck for towing her horse trailer.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have never seen one for sale aftermarket so if the factory doesn't have one you don't have much luck for new. You should head to a j/y, pick one up, and take it apart to see if the seals are normal off the shelf stuff or special. You might be able to rebuild it yourself. On another note: does the trailer have trailer brakes?

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
I suppose you could do the reverse of what us Dodge guys do. We install the GM 1 ton rear brake cyl for improved rear brakes. Maybe you could put the 1 ton Dodge rear cyl in for reduced rear braking. Never heard of this however. Be glad you have rear brakes. I need to have a 10k load before I have rear brakes.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bentwings said:
I suppose you could do the reverse of what us Dodge guys do. We install the GM 1 ton rear brake cyl for improved rear brakes. Maybe you could put the 1 ton Dodge rear cyl in for reduced rear braking. Never heard of this however. Be glad you have rear brakes. I need to have a 10k load before I have rear brakes.
Sorry if I was not clear, but I don't want REDUCED rear braking, just correct, load sensitive brakes. This is all a moot point anyway, since I have secured the correct valve and linkage from a C30 in the local wrecking yard (The bed was already removed! Talk about easy!). I've also found a source for new valves - Vintage Parts, Inc, which apparently buys up residual stock from auto manufacturers and resells it.

cobalt327 said:
Might be time to throw the '86 1-ton "baby" out w/the prop valve "bath water", unless this is a very special truck.
I guess I don't follow your logic. Get rid of it just because one small part is missing? Why do any of us build our own vehicles? It's ALWAYS less expensive to just buy a vehicle that's already done. Unfortunately, to me that's like buying a model car kit that was already put together by someone else. To me, the fun is in the building.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
joe_padavano said:
I guess I don't follow your logic. Get rid of it just because one small part is missing?
No, Joe- not "just because one small part is missing".

Because your WIFE and her animals are riding in it, not your dumb ***. LOL

If she has no probs w/a 23 year old ride, I sure as hell don't! ;)

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cobalt327 said:
No, Joe- not "just because one small part is missing".

Because your WIFE and her animals are riding in it, not your dumb ***. LOL

If she has no probs w/a 23 year old ride, I sure as hell don't! ;)
AH! Now I understand. I have to say that my wife is atypical. It took me three tries to find this one, but she has no problems living in a 300 year old log house while we tear it apart and restore it. Her favorite car is her 1990 Honda Civic, which I have kept going for her (despite her annual deer kill with it...). It's about 60k miles into it's second engine.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
joe_padavano said:
AH! Now I understand. I have to say that my wife is atypical. It took me three tries to find this one
Well, bless her for putting up w/you and you for having the good sense to rope her in. "Keepers" seem to be few and far between; I'm a lucky man in that regard as well. :)

So, back to the truck/brakes. Seems like you were fortunate that the bed was pulled off the donor out at the 'yard. Does it look to be a straight swap back in, or did the previous hack job leave you w/extra work to put it back right?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cobalt327 said:
Well, bless her for putting up w/you
You've got that right...

So, back to the truck/brakes. Seems like you were fortunate that the bed was pulled off the donor out at the 'yard. Does it look to be a straight swap back in, or did the previous hack job leave you w/extra work to put it back right?
Fortunately, I can bolt it right back in. I'll be replacing all the brake lines anyway, so plumbing is not an issue. This yard actually had two trucks with the correct valve. I might snag the second one just as a spare.

·
Registered
119 Posts
joe_padavano said:
HAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

NAPA doesn't list ANY proportioning valves and Chevy doesn't show the part number in the system (this IS a nearly 25 year old truck). The GM part no. is 15538213 and PartsVoice doesn't show it either. I've also checked the Wagner catalog (they also do not list any prop valves), as well as RockAuto.

Any confirmed sources? I do not have an original, since the idiot previous owner decided to remove the valve. At least now I know why the rear brakes lock up. No, I do not want to install a manual aftermarket adjustable valve since this will be my wife's truck for towing her horse trailer.
Did you actually search for the part?

buy-oem-parts dot com shows it:

www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213768

And a simple google of the part # gave a number of hits including:

paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=227011

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.