Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I reassemble my 57 chev pickup I was thinking it would look nice to use some fancy chrome or stainless steel bolts instead of the originals. It would also solve the problem of having to paint the original bolts separately since the truck is being painted in pieces. Does anyone have a reasonable source for 5/16" fancy bolts? button head? Chrome? stainless? or something like that? If I go to an aftermarket truck place I'm sure the price will have been marked up a few times.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Try an industrial supplier..my local guy carries stainless in boxes of 100..that is the cheapest way to buy those..you may need to polish them a bit..

Sam

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Gardner-Westcott ( http://www.gardner-westcott.com/) hold a mortgage on me for the SS fasteners on my '31. They have about the best selection and no minimum quantity - button head, hex, socket, odd balls - get the nuts, locks and flats all at the same time. I've found Home Depot and Lowes to be excessively expensive for SS and the quality is mediocre. Order their catalog as the on-line catalog could be easier to navigate.

Dave

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
302/Z28 said:
McMaster Carr is my source for all kinds of stainless fasteners, and they ship super fast.

Vince
To add to Vince's statement -
They also have a lot of the odd-ball sizes such as 12-24 and 32 that very few hardware stores carry. Original Ford bodies used these by the dozen. Their threaded rod is of good quality as well - not the Chinese crap the big box stores carry.
Plus even with quick delivery, their pricing is good. They also have 3/16 SS tubing for brakes - exactly the same stuff Pure Choice sell but a lot cheaper :D .

Dave

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.