Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

My plan for this coming year is to travel to a number of long distant shows. Currently my only resource for a tire problem is a can of Fix-A-Flat.
The trunk space in my 40 coupe could hold a space saver spare. The problem is locating one with the correct opening for my 78-86 GM intermediate front hubs as well as the 4.75 inch bolt circle.

Any one out their running a space saver as a spare with that front hub opening as well as the GM bolt circle? If so what make and model did it come from?

Thank you,

MrPhat 40

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I carry one in the dead space between the trunk and seats of my 36 coupe. Can't remember what GM product it came from, but they are plentiful in the salvage yards and if you are a regular customer, your favorite yard would probably give you one just to get rid of it. I have used it one time and it made the 40 miles to the tire shop to buy a replacement Michelin that was trashed with a piece of 3/4" rod that went right thru the steel belted radial.

Trees

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mr.After having a flat with no spare we got one of the Space Saver spares and carry it in the trunk of our 38 Lafayette streetrod. We got it from a new car dealer body shop and manager said to check inside diameter of hub hole as they very greatly, even though bolt pattern looks right. Sure enough it was just small enough not to fit, so we used a grinder and made sure it would fit Mustang front end and Buick rear axel. Didn't take much but we always have it there.... THERESA

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The spare we have in my son'd 57 Chevrolet with intermediate discs on the front and a 74 Nova rear is a dual pattern space saver with both 5 on 5 and 5 on 4.75 bolt patterns. We got it at a swap meet marked "Corvette" for the asking price of $5. Fits just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear All,

Thank you all for the input. I will chase Pasadena's mention of a dual pattern bolt circle (5 by 5" and 4.75") for a Corvette.

A swap meet is coming up here in Inpls this month so I will get my "hunting" gear on.

Thanks again.

MrPhat4o

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.