Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1965 c10 230 6 cylinder with a 2 speed power glide when mating these together can I just bolt the torque converter to the flywheel or do I leave a space n between?thanks.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,064 Posts
A properly installed torque converter should sit about 1/4" away from the flexplate when you bolt the trans to the engine. Then you slide the converter forward to meet the flexplate and bolt them together. No space between. The threaded pads on the converter should be directly touching the flexplate.

It's important to make sure the converter is fully installed. Even if you didn't remove it, it may have pulled out a bit during all the work. Keep turning it and pushing. There are a few things that have to line up and drop in place. If you don't properly get it seated the whole way in, you risk damaging the pump when you start the engine.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,886 Posts
I'll add to the above good information that the nose of the converter must seat in the pilot in the end of the crank. This is what holds the converter concentric with the crank. If there is space between the flexplate and the converter once everything is in place, this pilot is likely not seated properly.

·
True Hotrodder
1,893 Posts
You want to have .125 - .187 clearance with the convertor completely back in the transmission. IF you have more than .187 then you need to shim it out.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Using a converter spacer between the crank and flexplate is SO much easier then trying to hold washers between the flexplate and converter.

The balance will also be better as you have the leverage/weight closer to the crank.

To make a spacer you need a flat piece of steel (the correct thickness) and perferably a drill press. A dial indicator swung over the steel before rotating it 1/4 turn and checking again will let you check to make sure the thing is flat and easily check the height.

You simply install the spacer on the back of the crank when you install the flywheel. Easy.

Now you are moving the flywheel back.
Generally there is enough room inside the bellhousing and enough "reach" in the starter so everything works.

It does not always work. But if you can make it work then it is worth doing in my book.

Otherwise I would take my flexplate to a machine shop and have them weld spacers onto the flexplate before balancing it.

You may be able to buy a replacment flexplate with diffrent/the correct height for your combination.

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
998 Posts
I've seen people put washers between the flexplate and converter bosses.
Not what I was asking. His question is not really clear. Bolt it or leave a space. There must be clearance before bolting it together. But more than 1/4” is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
All this ‘space’ talk is mute because the trans won’t live long anyway.
If he gets lucky and manages to make or find kick down linkage that works as needed it’ll be fine. Pretty rare stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen people put washers between the flexplate and converter bosses.
Yes Joe that’s what I was asking.some people say yes and others say not to do it.I’m wanting to put this together in the next few days and just wanted some advice.any advice would be appreciated.thanks in advance to everybody.

·
True Hotrodder
1,893 Posts
All this ‘space’ talk is mute because the trans won’t live long anyway.
If he gets lucky and manages to make or find kick down linkage that works as needed it’ll be fine. Pretty rare stuff.
Why would a kick-down linkage determine the life expectancy of a Powerglide transmission?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Btw, and anyone correct me if i'm wrong, manual transmissions use a flywheel, automatics use a flexplate. So, the thing you're calling a flywheel is actually a flexplate.

Also, it's ok for the flexplate to bow out or in a little when you connect it to the torque converter. That's why it's called a FLEXplate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts