Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to install new headers on my ride in place of the cast manifolds (finally!) It's obvious that protection for the plug/wires/boots will be needed. Using Taylor wires, I see the options as being the woven "boot" type or the stamped sheet metal type protectors. Would like to hear anyone's experiences good or bad with either type or some other?

thanks..

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have to use boots I would use the weave vice the metal ones. When I put new headers in my 86 Blazer I thought I would also need then but I did not. My plug wires were close to them and so far they have not shown any damage. This has been almost 3 years now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Protectors

That's encouraging. My philosophy has always been "expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed" Closest wire/header is about 3/8". I have seen so many melted wires on headers just don't want to go that way. Have 1 pipe that goes "up" to miss the steering box, and it's really close. After checking fit and making any adjustments, I do plan to get the headers Jet-Hot coated, something that's supposed to help with radiant heat, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.