Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, first time in the forum. I hope I'm posting in the right place

I got a 1980 camaro with a 350 small block with HEI, some time ago I replaced the ign coil with an MSD blaster SS, now that it failed I replaced it with an oil filled coil, I was surprised that works pretty well.

Now that I replaced the coil, should I change the plug gap too? Right now is 0.045

The engine is nothing special, it's a daily driver, I'm just concerned about asking too much of the coil and get the best posible spark.

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello guys, first time in the forum. I hope I'm posting in the right place

I got a 1980 camaro with a 350 small block with HEI, some time ago I replaced the ign coil with an MSD blaster SS, now that it failed I replaced it with an oil filled coil, I was surprised that works pretty well.

Now that I replaced the coil, should I change the plug gap too? Right now is 0.045

The engine is nothing special, it's a daily driver, I'm just concerned about asking too much of the coil and get the best posible spark.

Thanks.
I would set them to .035 and be on your way. And not bother with msd crappy coils again.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What he said! .035 or .040 (even .045) should be fine with your HEI. Some people believe you have to go with the wide (.060) gaps to open up the spark - maybe for factory new car lean/emissions applications, but wide plug gaps are harder on your ignition and unnecessary in a hot rod.

·
Registered
780 Posts
keep the gap .035
If gap is too wide the spark will go through the insulation into the valve covers or where ever resistance is lowest. Know that a spark will occur somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts