Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is making a funny noise the other day, sort of a leaking exhaust doghnut noise so I popped the hood one night when I came home to check it out and it looked like a christmas tree on the driver side of the engine compartment. All four spark plugs are flashing where the wire boot goes on (where the plug is gennerally white) and two plug wires are jumping spark. I'm guessing this isn't normal but why would all the plugs be doing this? The valve cover gaskets leak a bit,, would that cuase this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Make sure the plug wires are snapped on the plugs.

STATUTORY GRAPE said:
My car is making a funny noise the other day, sort of a leaking exhaust doghnut noise so I popped the hood one night when I came home to check it out and it looked like a christmas tree on the driver side of the engine compartment. All four spark plugs are flashing where the wire boot goes on (where the plug is gennerally white) and two plug wires are jumping spark. I'm guessing this isn't normal but why would all the plugs be doing this? The valve cover gaskets leak a bit,, would that cuase this?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
What plug wires are you using? If your using cheapy solid core wires this is a common problem. Electricity is both smart and lazy. It will always take the path of least resistance. Get a set of aftermarket spiral core wires such as the Moroso Blue Max wires, they have a low ohm rating of 875 ohms. When you install them you must make sure you route them correctly away from the other spark plug wires or arcing or spark bleed will occur as your experiencing now.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I'll bet money that someone bought a cheap set of those custom Auto Zone
plug wires and put em on yer car! Lifetime guarantee doesn't mean they'll last a lifetime, it means there cheap enough to give you a new set down the road as long as you have the receipt. The boots are probably worn from the heat so they don't seal around the plug insulator anymore. When that happens, the spark goes straight to the base of the plug screwed into the head because that is a shorter path to ground than the electrode inside the head chamber. When they crossfire (usually cyl. 5 and 7 ) it really messes things up. Either way, you need new wires. :thumbup:
Wet oily plugs don't help the situation either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.