Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know im not the first with this problem, but I could not find any thing on data base about it. I,m trying to get the bolts out of the hand brake handle on my 50 Chevrolet but the head looks like(for lack of a better word) a figure eight. I see several other sizes of this same design and have worked around some of them. I don't want to destroy the whole car just to get these bolts out. Where can I get a set of these XXXXXXXXX tools before i take torch to it. HELP. just kidding about the torch but it is hard. Thanks to any one with this info.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
contact www.chevsofthe40s.com they probably got the tool you could rent, might be expensive. I'd look on my '51 to see what your talking about exactly but I don't think the handles are the same. mine's under the dash in the center.

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
That type of bolt was put into cars so people would remove safety items.......The early seatbelts had torx heads long before most people could buy them......dont know where you could get a driver for that "8" bolt....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tease bolts are not only for safety items, I remember when I was cutting my teeth, on the only thing my Daddy would let me drive, the lifter side pan and the valve cover on the 216 had the same type head on them. Poor ole chevy couldn't handle the split exhaust manifold and two carbs. Try as I might couldn't get one to last moor than two weeks at best. the rods just couldn't take the stress I put on them . Thanks again.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
They are called "Clutch head" and I found them still available at Snap On when I bought my 48 Chevy truck.....back in 1974. :) I doubt it is that easy now, but maybe at Heavy Chevy parts or something like that. You could check with stovebolter.com.

I have a co-worker who just got one of these trucks and I can't for the life of me find the darn tools I had. I replaced all those bolts on my truck years ago.

Brian

3,214 Posts
I think I have one of the drivers like what you are needing. I got it from MAC tools many years ago, when doing transmissions. They used those screws on some rental car speedometer cable attaching screws to keep people from tampering with them. The one that I have is about 1/4" across and about 1/8" at the widest 2 points. Kind of looks like a butterfly. The on it"s MAC P995 WSA E3. I am not sure, but seem to recall them being called "clutch drive" screws.

Just checked Snap-on and they carry "Clutch Drivers" in different sizes. You will need to check the size, measure across the wide side, so you can get the right one.

Aaron

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guy's my snap on rep see's me on monday I'check with him . Thanks again i'm just amasied at the knowlage we can share at the click of a mouse.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
poncho62 said:
Who you callin' "Clutch Head"?
ROFLMAO

I'm startin' to think you have too much free time:D

What are ya gonna do when/if you retire?? :mwink:

I could send ya a couple of golf balls--let ya play golf BEFORE spring.
That would keep you busy---white balls in the snow :p

Bryan

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
ROFLMAO

I'm startin' to think you have too much free time:D

What are ya gonna do when/if you retire?? :mwink:

I could send ya a couple of golf balls--let ya play golf BEFORE spring.

That would keep you busy---white balls in the snow :p

Bryan
:eek:

Don't they wear knickers or something? :pain:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts