Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m well aware of all the negative comments about Procomp products but I’ve also read some positives comments as well. I’m looking at these two flywheels for a 351W making about 375 hp and wondering if anyone has had direct experience with them. They are both SFI rated which I find surprising for flywheels in this price range and I have confirmed this with the people at Jeg’s. It seems like they are both a very good value. Can anyone share their experience with them?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE229.1011/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/1-229-013/10002/-1

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,281 Posts
The problem with any generic brand is consistency of the finished product.
In order to get the price point at market level something has to give and QC is a big one.
I’d say buy it if it fits your needs. Inspect it super closely or ask a shop to do that for you and evaluate whether it needs to go back or not.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The problem with any generic brand is consistency of the finished product.
In order to get the price point at market level something has to give and QC is a big one.
I’d say buy it if it fits your needs. Inspect it super closely or ask a shop to do that for you and evaluate whether it needs to go back or not.
Agree w johnsongrass, inspect closely. All the Chinese made stuff needs a thorough look over. I have used one of their flywheel and a couple harmonic balancers. The flywheel had more run out than recommended. I thought the mounting flange was off making the piece junk. Turned out it was the face of the flywheel, and a clean up surfacing made it good. But, by then the cost of the part was not low anymore.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
I used a Chinese harmonic balancer and it had to be honed out to fit the crank. You would have destroyed the crank snout trying to pull it on otherwise. Luckily, I bought it through the machine shop and they honed it for free.

·
More for Less Racer
20,456 Posts
I used a Chinese harmonic balancer and it had to be honed out to fit the crank. You would have destroyed the crank snout trying to pull it on otherwise. Luckily, I bought it through the machine shop and they honed it for free.
It had nothing to do with it being Chinese, and it was made correctly.

All aftermarket balancers will be the same way, including the often considered best ATI Dampers....they have no real idea what your crank nose diameter is going to be, as there is a factory tolerance on everything.

if it is not made undersize to be honed, there is no way to ensure a tight correct fit on every crank....and a too loose fit is worthless.

Stock cranks, and stock balancers are the only pieces you can expect to fit without honing, and even that isn't always true due to machining tolerances.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
It had nothing to do with it being Chinese, and it was made correctly.

All aftermarket balancers will be the same way, including the often considered best ATI Dampers....they have no real idea what your crank nose diameter is going to be, as there is a factory tolerance on everything.

if it is not made undersize to be honed, there is no way to ensure a tight correct fit on every crank....and a too loose fit is worthless.

Stock cranks, and stock balancers are the only pieces you can expect to fit without honing, and even that isn't always true due to machining tolerances.

So true, so many people don't realize the damper needs to fit snug. An interference fit at its worst and a moderate press fit at best. Never should it just slide on and never should you beat it on, installation requires a special tool while removal takes a puller.

A slip fit is useless, a loose fit will beat the damper, key and keyway, and crank snout to death.

Bogie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts