Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running gps for things like live traffic alerts and such while driving. No need for a cable driven speedometer.

But I am left with the old hole that the square speedometer cable screwed into.

The transmission is a 2wd sm465 3 speed with low range(4 speed). It is found in squarebody Chevy trucks from the late 70's to early 90's.

Automotive tire Wood Bedrock Automotive wheel system Gas

Does anyone make a cover of sorts I can simply screw on and "cap" this so I eliminate the posiblity of fluid "walking" out the hole.

Plan B is to just find a rubber cap like the ones used to cap the heater outlets of radiatiors and force it on.

I have spare engines, transmissions, rear axles for this build. I plan on pushing, breaking, and swapping out parts as they break or just wear out.

Just decreasing downtime mostly with the potential to reduce cost.

I would perfer something I could screw on like a billet cap of sorts that I could simply move over when swapping parts.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have a old cable. But buying a new one and modifying it is the plan B.

Before I did all that I wanted to see if there was a simple piece of billet I could screw on for $20 and end up with a better looking result while saving the time modifying.

Usually I spend 1/2 a day modifying something and then find out there was something already out that not only has a better finish but often cost less.

Before I just grab a cable off rock auto and go to town I thought there may be a few people running around who like a nice clean shop floor. The transmission is currenyly dirty because I am still welding, painting etc. But once moving my rides stay fairly clean and leaks are found and fixed fast. This avoids becoming grubby from a simple oil change or getting a clump of dirt hitting you when you use a impact under the car.

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
1,056 Posts
I do not have a old cable. But buying a new one and modifying it is the plan B.

Before I did all that I wanted to see if there was a simple piece of billet I could screw on for $20 and end up with a better looking result while saving the time modifying.

Usually I spend 1/2 a day modifying something and then find out there was something already out that not only has a better finish but often cost less.

Before I just grab a cable off rock auto and go to town I thought there may be a few people running around who like a nice clean shop floor. The transmission is currenyly dirty because I am still welding, painting etc. But once moving my rides stay fairly clean and leaks are found and fixed fast. This avoids becoming grubby from a simple oil change or getting a clump of dirt hitting you when you use a impact under the car.
You are overthinking stuff. Smear some silicone over it and put a cap on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am running gps for things like live traffic alerts and such while driving. No need for a cable driven speedometer.

But I am left with the old hole that the square speedometer cable screwed into.

The transmission is a 2wd sm465 3 speed with low range(4 speed). It is found in squarebody Chevy trucks from the late 70's to early 90's.

View attachment 624905

Does anyone make a cover of sorts I can simply screw on and "cap" this so I eliminate the posiblity of fluid "walking" out the hole.

Plan B is to just find a rubber cap like the ones used to cap the heater outlets of radiatiors and force it on.

I have spare engines, transmissions, rear axles for this build. I plan on pushing, breaking, and swapping out parts as they break or just wear out.

Just decreasing downtime mostly with the potential to reduce cost.

I would perfer something I could screw on like a billet cap of sorts that I could simply move over when swapping parts.
If you were close by I'd make you a cap on my lathe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts