Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my dads car but my problem....
Car is a 92 Z-28 TPI,with manual trans.speedometer quit working one day,simple enough a broken cable,climbed under it and it has a speed sensor instead,local Chevy dealer says it doesnt have a speed sensor but a cable,we took the sensor out and went to a different dealer,got the sensor,installed it and still is not working.I am about to check the wires for the sensor but I have no idea whether they run to the ECM,out to dash ,or if they run straight to the dash and bypass the ECM.What do yall think?And if someone has an idea of where to look throw it out.The car only gets drove about once every month in the summer only,so its not a major time issue.Just picking at your brains.Thanx.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Speedo

Doc here:pimp:

I'm not failure with the 92 Z28 dash readout,

Is it LCD or mechanical?

Do You have Cruise Control on that Car too? That would imply a second cable that could be bad also.

If it's an LCD, Is the speedo the only thing not working or in error?

Grounds at the read out are an issue with most Readout issues. Corrosion will build up over time on the connectors, Especially if left sitting stored for long periods of time with the windows up.

Also look at the fuse panel (if LCD) for any blown fuses.

More info on the system, and we'll See if we can narrow it down for you...

Doc:pimp:

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mechanical gauges
vehicle is equipped with cruise
fuses all are ok
tach does operate correctly
As stated,this thing has no cable drive from output housing
all other gauges operate correctely
It will probably be next week before I get over to their house,if we need any more info I can go over or call.
Thanx .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts