Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: After replacing the stock enjine & automatic trans. with a 305 V8 & a 350AT my speedometer reads faster than I feel I am going . I have a 55GMC 1/2 ton stepside second series truck. I don't know where I should post this help question. Thanks for any & all responses.
Tucson Guy

·
Registered
559 Posts
Take your truck over to TJ Speedometer over on 1st Ave at Blacklidge and he will calibrate it for you

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are a bunch of us with these old Chevy trucks.If you go to the hotrodders lounge there is a thread "55 to 59 chevy truck owners"I would enjoy seeing pictures of your truck and hearing all about it.I started this thread to have a place for guys with these trucks to share ideas and opinions about there trucks.It is a good place to ask questions about your truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your response re: my speedometer question.
Since I lived in Cleve. Ohio for over 30 years I'd like to know where Pedro,OH is from Run 141. I will eventually checkout the site you suggested, Doubledick, & will send photos after I take a few. Thanks again to all of you.
Phxamigo from Tucson. :welcome: :)

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
You need to increase the number of teeth on the end of the speedo cable, or DEcrease the number on the trans shaft. Cable is easier unless your problem is extreme.

I have never in 30 years had any police officer refuse to radar check my vehicles. Just stop and talk to them and ask. :thumbup:

Those "along the road" radar trailers with the big readout numbers that let you see how fast you are going are a good check also.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
xntrik said:
You need to increase the number of teeth on the end of the speedo cable, or DEcrease the number on the trans shaft. Cable is easier unless your problem is extreme.

I have never in 30 years had any police officer refuse to radar check my vehicles. Just stop and talk to them and ask. :thumbup:

Those "along the road" radar trailers with the big readout numbers that let you see how fast you are going are a good check also.
i already said that in post #2, and i dont think those police radars are all that accurate.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Phxamigo said:
:confused: After replacing the stock enjine & automatic trans. with a 305 V8 & a 350AT my speedometer reads faster than I feel I am going . I have a 55GMC 1/2 ton stepside second series truck. I don't know where I should post this help question. Thanks for any & all responses.
Tucson Guy
If you still have the original transmission ... look at the speedometer drive gears in it and duplicate the same ratio in you new transmission ... :D

9/22 9 on the big gear and 22 on the little gear is a 2.44 to 1
7/17 ... is the same ratio ... ( OK ... it is 2.423 ;) )

So just do the same thing to your T-350 ...
make the ratio in the 350 ... the same ratio as was in the old transmission

This will work if you still have the same rear end and tires ...

·
5,122 Posts
runn141 said:
i

i dont think those police radars are all that accurate.

Really? Try to prove it in court.

If you were a Trooper you would know that....

The new bands don't bounce/ reflect,
and any angularity in reading means that the clocked vehicle is going FASTER than what the radar says.

Fact is, they are "dead on".

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
xntrik said:
Really? Try to prove it in court.

If you were a Trooper you would know that....

The new bands don't bounce/ reflect,
and any angularity in reading means that the clocked vehicle is going FASTER than what the radar says.

Fact is, they are "dead on".
whatever you say

·
5,122 Posts
runn141 said:
whatever you say

It is not "what I say",

it what is fact.

It is almost impossible to beat a radar speeding ticket. All the old arguments are not valid. When a Trooper says in court, "I radared that car at X mph" it is all over but the paying.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
xntrik said:
It is not "what I say",

it what is fact.

It is almost impossible to beat a radar speeding ticket. All the old arguments are not valid. When a Trooper says in court, "I radared that car at X mph" it is all over but the paying.
not everybody on here is gonna believe everything they read

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.