Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We're pondering over a small problem. My son's 383" kit cam with spirolox pin retainers (927-042-CL) and after wasting the better part of an hour and not getting a single one in (out of 32), decided to file-13 the darned things. JE lists a Truarc internal snap ring (927-042-CT), which Summit sells for $1.69 each! Our local Fastenal supply store has a similar snap ring ($0.19 each) that's ever-so-slightly larger (.938" OD vs .901" OD). JE's website shows their 927-042-CT part to range from 0.896" - 0.945" diameter, while these Fastenal pieces are 0.938". I'm thinking they'll work even better, as the tension will be a little more when in the groove. Thickness is the same.

Will they work?

TIA!

Russ

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
I would look at the recommended max temps, tensile strength and thickness.
If you cannot get those measurements I would spend the extra $$ and time to get the recommended locks.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked to Shane at JE. He said as long as the other dimensions are the same (they are) the .938" falls within their acceptability range. JE's price was $2.69 ea! I guess that's the "lawsuit factor" added in.

I did manage to 'forget' to ask about the orientation. Don't the "sharp" edges go to the outsides?

Russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.