Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while back, I noticed that out of now where my brakes lost most of their efficiency, i had to pump them 2-3 times to stop in a reasonable distance. I checked the fluid and it was a little low in the back, larger part of the master cylinder. The vehicle is a 1974 gran torino 4dr with discs in the front and drums in the back. I refilled the fluid, no change. I found that some fluid was leaking out the master cylinder lid seal, after fixing that and having no change in the brakes, I tried to bleed the brakes. Starting in the back, the bleeder screws on both sides were stuck. I got the passenger side and impatiently bled that drum. I couldnt get the driver side drum and I didnt have time to buy a new wheel cylinder so I moved on. I went on to the front brakes and bled out a lot of air on both sides. I didnt expect to have the brakes back fully, but there was no change at all in performance. I expected some change. I still have to pump the bakes 2-3 times. Someone please tell me if buying a new wheel cylinder and re-bleeding the brakes might fix this, or could there be something else. Why could this have happened out of nowhere?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
brakes

spongy bks tend to be air. u may have a m/c issue and don't know it yet. but for me... jack it up all around and hit brake while someone tries to spin tire and see what happens. wheel cyl's are cheap. and look at the flex brake lines for expanding too while u hit brake.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
spongey

Time to replace some brake parts. I see on Rock Auto a M/C is under $30 and a wheel cylinder is under $5. Look for any indication of leaking on the front part of the braking system.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the rear drum brakes? The self adjusters do not always keep up. Check the shoes they maybe worn out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts