Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ive been working on trying to figure this weird idle issue out and havent quite cured it...its a 1980 454, edelbrock performer intake and carb, headers to glasspacks...

I attached a link to a video of the issue. The idle out of the driver tailpipe is smooth, only has this minor surging out of the passenger side tail pipe. Little bit bouncy while its idiling while sitting in the seat (not as smooth as it used to be)

What do you all think?

idle - YouTube

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set the carb air/fuel mixture before it started doing this so that probably isnt the issue, new wires before it started acting up also, semi-new plugs put on a couple years ago but probably hasnt been driven more than 1500 miles since putting the plugs in...I'll pull the cap tomorrow and check the contacts and rotor

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just have the fuel line going into the mechanical fuel pump and right up into the carb...should I put a regulator on it after the pump? If so any specific one I should get or just any 1980 454 regulator?
Timing is WAY advanced but not enough to ping, I think if I remember right I had it set to about 14 degrees advance with the vacuum disconnected, with it connected its much higher but ran better that way before this issue started.

Ill try and get some pics asap. Forgot to add that its an MSD distributor (no control box)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm seeing a TON of fuel pressure regulators, some adjustable, some not adjustable but it seems most say running pressure 4.9-9psi...what running pressure would you guys recommend? Its a high output naturally aspirated 454, all forged steel internals but no huge cam or anything like that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.