Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I want to repair a rust spot on my car. It's a really small spot of 1 sq in. DBM suggests me to blend the colors instead on painting the whole panel. I like the idea because it's seems more difficult to do.
Now, my question is about spraying clearcoat over the old clearcoat. I am gonna spray Dupont Nason clearcoat over the original clear. Should I sand the original with a grit of maybe 1000-1200 before applying the new clear? I wonder if the new one will stick properly without sanding.

And I have another general question. If you sand your clearcoat and it becomes dull, can you spray a new layer of clear over it to make it clear again?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can hit the old clearcoat with a scotch brite and then spray clear over it and it will be fine. When you scotch brite or sand the clear it will get dull but once you throw clear on top it will shine again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a product number for these scuff pads? Or if I ask for gray scotch brite the guy at the auto parts shop will give the right thing. From previous experiences, it could be dangerous to look for something when you only know the color of the package...
Does the same rules apply if I want to spray bc/cc over an acrylic enamel paint? Because I want to train on garden tools before attacking my own car and I believe it is painted with acrylic enamel paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.