Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been using a Devillbiss Finishline 3 w/1.5 for a while (way too much overspray)but have been starting to use a Sharpe Finex w/1.4 . Neither have made me overjoyed though the Finex seems to be doing a better job with less overspray. I would really like an IWATA or SATA but since all I am doing is hobby stuff and $4-$700 is just too much :( .

While doing a search here and other web reading have found that some of the ASTROs may be clones of the IWATA and many folks seem to like them - that they do a good job for a reasonable price. Which model is 'best". I am well aware of the fact that my painting skills could be better but a good tool always helps that learning curve along faster.

Or possibly a Devillbiss GFG-670 or GTI-620 (which is just beyond the very top of my price range - but might be $$ possible).

I've had a HF Purple - which is OK but, again way too much overspray and an air hog.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
302/Z28 said:
I have found that with the knock off guns in order to get a decent lay down of urethane clear it is necessary to really jack up the air pressure to achieve a good atomization. Over spray is just a consequence of achieving that.

Vince

Have you sprayed clear with an Astro EVO?

This is an LVLP gun. Only needs 16-20 psi inlet pressure to atomize clear properly.

It is very similar to the old version of the Iwata LPH-400.

Heres a comparison: EVO on the left, Iwata LPH-400 on the right.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You should :D

You might be surprised. I admit its not quite the Iwata, however it is one of the best value priced spray guns out there.

The EVO 1.8 for primer makes a great companion to the Iwata for topcoats.

For guys just starting out or not wanting to spend $400 + on a spray gun the EVO's are great.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I started with the HF "Purple" gun because I simply did not know which pro gun to choose so I went the cheapie route until I learned enough to make an informed choice, I went with the IWATA and have never regretted it. It did not take me long to realize that a gun like the IWATA will pay for itself in a short time even if you only do this as a hobby because the material saved adds up in a hurry. I think buying a cheap gun to use until you are sure of what you want is a good idea but since you have already been using the HF type guns you might want to consider taking the plunge for a "real" gun. If you continue to use the cheapies then consider that the cost of the cheap gun plus the cost of the extra material on even a few jobs would have paid for the pro gun but you still won't have it. JMO

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I DID IT !!

I looked in my 'car fun(d) account', gritted my teeth and took the plunge for the IWATA kit with a LPH400-144 and the 1000ml cup. :sweat: :D :sweat: :D

Thanks to those of you that responded - I almost went for the Astro EVO 4018 but since I already have the Finex felt that I really needed a recognized 'pro gun' if I was going to do this kind of work, even for fun. I will be putting the Devillbiss FL 3 up for sale eventually but not yet.

Dave

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Good choice! you won't be dissapointed! Less air, better atomization, excellent transfer efficiency, light weight. The advantages are great. There is a little learning curve using this gun but once you get the adjustments and application speed and distance figured out you'll never want to go back. You won't need a full trigger pull with this gun as it puts out a lot of material, start with two turns out on the fluid knob and move it out from there in small amounts checking the atomization. I find my sweet spot usually between 21/2-3 turns out and airpressure at 18-22 at the gun with the trigger half pulled. Play around with it and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I ordered up a tuulshed Iwata knock off to try for sealer and primer applications, I'll let you guys know how it performs. I hate running sealers and primers through a premium gun.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
baddbob said:
I ordered up a tuulshed Iwata knock off to try for sealer and primer applications, I'll let you guys know how it performs. I hate running sealers and primers through a premium gun.
Interesting - no full trigger pull - that will take a learning curve. I'll also heed your fluid control settings as well.

That's why I'm keeping my $80 Finex - tho I really need a bigger tip (Hmmm - might better keep the Devill with its' 1.5 or 1.8).

The IWATA will NEVER see heavy bodied paints like primers.

Dave

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
baddbob said:
I have both the Iwata LP knock-occ (Tuulshed) and the purple gun-I haven't used the purple gun yet, but the Iwata knock-off did a great job with SPI Epoxy Primer-

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
35WINDOW said:
I have both the Iwata LP knock-occ (Tuulshed) and the purple gun-I haven't used the purple gun yet, but the Iwata knock-off did a great job with SPI Epoxy Primer-
Be prepared for lots of overspray and the need for lots of pressure and volume for the HF gun to lay down a good coat - just about everything in my garage/shop is SPI epoxy gray - thankfully I didn't use the SPI buff color. They do work well with the right (high) pressure and volume tho. I have my suspicion that it really isn't an HVLP gun - just a gravity feed unit - regardless of the words stamped on it and on the box. :eek:

Dave

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
What do you think of that Finex? I picked one up at a yard sale back in the fall and I have not been impressed with it for what little I have used it. It is HVLP and does ok as far as overspray but in order to get even half decent results I have to set up a really narrow fan and then it is nothing impressive. Is this normal for this gun or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oldred said:
What do you think of that Finex? I picked one up at a yard sale back in the fall and I have not been impressed with it for what little I have used it. It is HVLP and does ok as far as overspray but in order to get even half decent results I have to set up a really narrow fan and then it is nothing impressive. Is this normal for this gun or am I doing something wrong?
So far I only got to use this one for 2K - and it did OK with very little overspray. But you are correct in that it does have a fairly narrow fan and was a bit inconsistant. I did like it as far as I got with it better than the FL3. It doesn't need a lot of air, which for me is a plus.Unfortunately the weather got too the point where I really could not use it with my BC. For a yard sale gun - and if it was cheap..... :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts