Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed this metallic paint on a Nissan Rogue there was a drip of water that I did not see and paint it over it what do I do

·
Registered
852 Posts
If its under the clear, yes. If you want it perfect, yes. But remember there are flaws in every panel, on every car unless someone spent tons of effort to obtain a show car finish.
So the question is... How noticeable is it? Is it your own car, or is it for someone else? I always tell people there may be a flaw in it but I dont show it to them anymore. Most people never see what you see, and unless it really stands out and looks horrible they may or may not care!
So, how bad do you want to do it over! LOL!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its under the clear, yes. If you want it perfect, yes. But remember there are flaws in every panel, on every car unless someone spent tons of effort to obtain a show car finish.
So the question is... How noticeable is it? Is it your own car, or is it for someone else? I always tell people there may be a flaw in it but I dont show it to them anymore. Most people never see what you see, and unless it really stands out and looks horrible they may or may not care!
So, how bad do you want to do it over! LOL!!!
I have not sprayed the clear coat yet so it's just a base coat right now and it's a customer's car this only my third metallic I've ever painted

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can sand it lightly until it goes away. Depending on if you go thru or not he might need to spray a little sealer on that spot. But other than that just treat it like a tiny blend. Spot your color in and clear the whole panel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can sand it lightly until it goes away. Depending on if you go thru or not he might need to spray a little sealer on that spot. But other than that just treat it like a tiny blend. Spot your color in and clear the whole panel.
So I don't want to take any chances it's almost cured I'm thinking about you're sending it down with 600 or even 400 the entire panel and just re spraying it what are your thoughts on that

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can do that. If it's a light color like silver or gold you want to go 600 grit or 800 Grit. I always worry about the panels beside the color I'm spraying, and hope they match.
I always try to use the least amount of base coat for that reason. Blend, blend, blend!
But there's nothing wrong with spraying the whole panel, just depends on what's on either side of it.
There's also a bunch of other guys on here who paint, and they might have some better pointers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can do that. If it's a light color like silver or gold you want to go 600 grit or 800 Grit. I always worry about the panels beside the color I'm spraying, and hope they match.
I always try to use the least amount of base coat for that reason. Blend, blend, blend!
But there's nothing wrong with spraying the whole panel, just depends on what's on either side of it.
There's also a bunch of other guys on here who paint, and they might have some better pointers!
Perfect I'll reach out to them I appreciate it

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I had an old boss 50+ years ago who's mantra was , " the only part of a paint job that has to be perfect is what you see opening the door & going down the road " , I really liked ol' Stan ! Had a realistic outlook ..LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts