Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm new to HVLP, but been lurking on the site for a while, and been practicing on some cheap aluminum panels before I get to painting. I did okay last time but today when I pulled the gun out, reassembled it and started more testing, the paint wasn't coming out the same. I had to keep pulling the trigger to get any sort of flow. Otherwise it give a little burst, then just air. The settings at the compressor and gun were all the same as last time, paint diluted, all the parts put back where they were, etc. I tried adjusting flow, pattern and pressure but that only made more paint come out when with the initial burst. Everything that I can see is clean, tip, cap & needle. I was using a iwata az3 hte2. Any obvious thoughts I don't know about as a newbie?
Thanks for the help!

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type and brand of gun and pressures used? :cool:
It's the Iwata az3 hte2. I've been running the compressor around 45 psi to get tip pressure around 25-28 psi. That worked well last time I used it. Same settings, same paint, same gun, different results!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few weeks ago my HTE gun started acting up. I thought it was clean, I cleaned and tightened everything up multiple times and it would still be inconsistent spraying fine on second then terrible the next.

Turns out it wasn't as clean as I thought... I looked at the fluid tip under magnification and it had a tiny bit of epoxy (primer) built up on it where it passes through the air cap. I carefully scraped that off with an Exacto knife and all was well. I couldn't see it with my naked eye, but it sure messed things up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm new to HVLP, but been lurking on the site for a while, and been practicing on some cheap aluminum panels before I get to painting. I did okay last time but today when I pulled the gun out, reassembled it and started more testing, the paint wasn't coming out the same. I had to keep pulling the trigger to get any sort of flow. Otherwise it give a little burst, then just air. The settings at the compressor and gun were all the same as last time, paint diluted, all the parts put back where they were, etc. I tried adjusting flow, pattern and pressure but that only made more paint come out when with the initial burst. Everything that I can see is clean, tip, cap & needle. I was using a iwata az3 hte2. Any obvious thoughts I don't know about as a newbie?
Thanks for the help!
There are 2 stages on the trigger. First half, only air comes out. Continue pulling after that and fluid comes out.
Pull that baby all the way down, and watch it work!

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are 2 stages on the trigger. First half, only air comes out. Continue pulling after that and fluid comes out.
Pull that baby all the way down, and watch it work!
I'm aware and the gun worked fine the first couple times I used it. But this last time, even when I pulled all the way in to get the paint flow, it would shoot a blast for a moment and stop and it would just be air. I'd have to release the trigger and then pull it back fully again to get the paint to come out. To finish the piece I was spraying, I had to repeat this process 30 times, almost like I was using a spray bottle to paint the part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts