Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave an interesting product a try a few days ago, "Squeegee prime" by Sherwin Williams. It's also available a NAPA stores under the Martin Senour label.

Well.....it isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it has promise. First off, to get this stuff to spread out will take some practice. It comes with a super nice fine edged soft squeegee, I need to try it on polyester putty but keep forgeting. The down side is the mixing tube needs to be replaced every time like a 2K adhesive or something like that. For the home hobbiest, that will be an added cost. But by the time I had spread it out three times on feathered out scratches on the car I was getting better at it. It is DEFINETLY not for big projects, but what the heck, maybe? It IS an iso free filling primer like a PPG NCP or the S-W which we spray every day at work and it does a great job. So you are applying a good primer even though it is pretty rough. but that should get better with practice.

It sanded out just as a sprayed primer would and it was paintable after sanding.

Is it going to replace spraying primer, not on your life in this version. But someday, it may, that is what big brother wants us to do in the industry.

Have any of you guys given this a try? I am sure other companies have something similar but S-W is the only one I have tried.

(click here) for gun

(click here) for primer

·
Registered
568 Posts
Brian,

Aside from the overspray and fumes, the big reason I would see benefit in something like this is being able to get primer on your work in a shorter period of time.

For someone like me, working at home, I may only have a two or three hour window in an evening to get anything done.

For priming a few spots, a significant amount of time is spent firing up the compressor, mixing the primer, spraying, cleaning the gun, etc. I may have to wait two or three days before I get back to the project.

For small jobs, how does the product you tried compare in terms of total time required to mix it, get the product on the panel and get everything cleaned up?

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
This is the best news I've seen in a long time..

The disposable tip can't be worse to replace than a mix cup and the time and thinner used to clean a gun.

Could it be mixed like putty on a sheet or is the nozzle needed to control the flow and amount?
Sounds very promising and I'll be getting some right away!

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are ready to go in seconds, literally. Just put the mixing tip on and squeese the trigger.

If nothing else you could get a good DTM primer on there to protect your work. When blocking it if you go thru just spray it with the rest when you are better prepaired to spray.

Milo, I guess it could be just squirted out on to a mixing board, but the stuff is pretty runny, pretty much the consistancy of sprayable primer!

I did just minutes ago use the cool squeegee that came with the primer to spread some polyester putty (Glaze Coat by Evercoat) and this damn thing is the Holy Grail for putty!! Holy crap that darn squeegee worked GREAT. I was able to spread the putty out almost like spraying it!!

Now if we can find a source for them without buying the primer. :)

Brian

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
is this any better then using the rollers that they sell for rolling on normal spray primer ?

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crashtech said:
Thanks for the tip, Brian. Wonder why my rep has not tried selling it to me? :mad:

P.S. Now that I looked it up, looks like S-W calls the 2x3 squeegee an "RS3X2" and the larger one an "RS5X275". Maybe they are available?
AHHHH, I am going to try ordering one of each to see. I am not kidding you, this thing really flows and lays the putty well over curves and such. A little larger one would be the cats meow. Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Martinsr,

I'd love to see some pics of the process - both with the primer and with the filler - using the squeegee. I've often applied very thick primer with a plastic or rubber spatula (for applying fiberglass) to do rapid build up of low spots and imperfections. This sounds like a much improved system for doing the same thing.

·
Technician
701 Posts
I am thinking it would be ideal for those teeny tiny pinholes my eyes seem to miss more of these days, you know the ones that must be about .25mm across, but sprayed primer won't flow into? Very irritating to this old timer!

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't take any and not sure when I will use it again. I could just do a test or demo I guess and take some photos.

It really isn't hard to invision. It looked basically like spread out polyester putty, only a little smoother. It sanded just as polyester putty would as far as the high spots from the edge of the spreader. The hard part of course is blocking it down without cutting thru the thinner areas. It really does take an experianced blocker to pull it off. If a home newbe were to try it he would sand thru the "normal" thinner areas WAY before the ridges were leveled out.

I'll give it another try and take some photos.

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crashtech said:
I am thinking it would be ideal for those teeny tiny pinholes my eyes seem to miss more of these days, you know the ones that must be about .25mm across, but sprayed primer won't flow into? Very irritating to this old timer!
If you are talking about pin holes in filler, skim coat everything in polyester putty and you will all but eliminate them. Honestly, I vertually never have pin holes in my filler work because of this.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.