Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering which stall convertor to use. I have read good things about freakshow, hughes and FTI and all are priced around the same. Is 1 better than the others. Will be mainly for street use with an occasional trip to the track.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Freakshow, Hughes and FTI

Was just wondering which stall convertor to use…Will be mainly for street use with an occasional trip to the track.
Your question asks what stall to use, when your information show you’re looking for what brand to use.
Just like any performance part, look into their history, and what type of warranty they provide.

Jim Hughes has been building trans parts since I was lookin at my ma’for milk..

Need more information on what your mainly street driving conditions are. For example, I drive harder on the street than at the track.

What RPMs, rear gear, weight of vehicle, type of transmission, stall speed, lock up or not, all these are important pieces of information to determine what type of convertor to use.

For what it’s worth, I love my triple disc Circle D 3600 stall in my daily driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was mainly asking if 1 brand is better than the other. If anybody has had problems with any of them. I will be calling who I choose to buy from and let them know all the details so I get the right convertor but I just want one that won't give me any trouble. And I will be going easy on it on the street. It's just a toy but I dont want to have to keep dumping money in parts if I don't have to. I want to do it right the 1st time. I have another vehicle so it will just be like a weekend thing.

·
True Hotrodder
1,450 Posts
"I want to do it right the 1st time."

HAHAHA!!

That's funny as hell!

Thanks for the laugh - I needed it today.

Everyone thinks there is a "magic formula" that the convertor people have that will determine the "perfect" convertor for them. Oh, they might get close or miss it by a mile. Yes pick a reputable company, decide whether you want a car that cruises okay or something that can run the number time after time and place your bet. The only thing that I have seen work for getting the convertor "right" for a car is testing and then more testing. I'm not going to mention names here but it's one of the ones you listed - sent them every piece of information we had on the car - complete engine specs, vehicle specs, dyno sheets and our goals - they missed it by about a 1000 rpm. Pulled it back out, sent to an outfit that I have trusted in the past and it came back within 100 rpm of what I wanted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
You hit the nail on the head chas!
If we did it right the first time we’d have never learned anything.
What works, what doesn’t!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question is aimed at quality of convertors. It's not an all out race application. If it's a little off then it's a little off. If it works without hurting any other components then it will be OK. I dont know much of anything about stall convertors but I have read horror stories about some brands. I just want one that won't burn up in 3 months and have to do it over again. Just want some advice on quality of brands. I have to learn just like everyone else but it's always better to seek good advice from others who know before diving in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you'll probably get a potpourri of answers, because everyone has their own thoughts and feelings.
Me, I can honestly say I had good luck with a B&M Holeshot converter. I had that in my 68 Camaro that I had on the street and it worked well. Now my current Camaro has one built by PTC but that was built from the spec's of my car and it's stll off a little, but it works. I know people that love Hughes, TCI, ATI, BTE.
Like I said, you'll probably get a lot of answers.

·
More for Less Racer
19,733 Posts
Recommendations are also going to differ somewhat depending on what trans is being used.
Some company's are either better at, or they only "specialize" in lock-up converters, .....some do both, ....and some only do non-lock-up.

There is probably a dozen more companies that could be thrown in the mix. PTC, Precision Industries, Yank, Edge, Ultimate, Dynamic, PA, Transmission Specialties, ProTorque.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Good info!
I'm about to buy one here pretty soon.
I have an FTI in my truck and it works good. But I might try a Freak show, or PTC next.

I was actually about to ask the same question. Thanks for getting it out of the way for me!!

·
True Hotrodder
1,450 Posts
I get it but your question assumes that everyone has the same results or experience with a particular convertor builder and to tell you straight out, that can happen but there's always someone that didn't get what they expected. Most bad convertor builders don't stick around too long. If their stuff is junk it's not long before the word is passed around and people avoid them. So it really gets down in my opinion to a couple of things. One is whether a particular outfit will stand behind their product - but a lot of it that goes out the door is racecar stuff and the warranty pretty much ends when you open the box. A second item is what you get for feedback when you speak with them and I would make up a list of the ones you're interested in and call every one of them. Then it's time to flip the coin, throw the dart or whatever you do to make a choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been running Michael's- Freakshow- stuff for years. The 10" 4600 in the door car is about 10 years old and hits every pass. I broke the stator in the dragster 9" 6000 after 3 years, he wouldn't charge me for the repair. Good guy, good parts. He beats on his juck too with his own big tire car. Obviously my recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts