173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished getting my engine squared away. Specs are as follows
385 sbc
Forged internals
Flat tops (11.0:1 compression)
Afr 195 heads
Comp cams hydraulic roller camshaft
230/236 112 lsa (I’ll attach the card for more detailed information)
Edelbrock performer rpm
Quick fuel 750
th350 transmission

vehicle is a 1984 Monte Carlo that weighs about 3000 pounds.
275/60r15’s in the rear. 4:11 gears in a Ford 9 inch. I also have a chunk with 3.50’s in it.
I’m looking for a stall speed that could possibly blanket both of those rear gears if possible. I really like the 4.11’s because my vehicle sees virtually no interstate travel and most city streets near me don’t exceed 45mph.

right now I have a tci street fighter stall that’s rated for 3400-3500.. I think that’s too much but Im not a pro at determining stall speed. It acts as if you have to really get into it to get it going. Comp didn’t advise me my cams operating range so I have to kinda find out on my own I guess. Im looking at a 2800 stall right now.

Any advice would be appreciated
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your thinking is sound, for a target stall around 2800 on a street car, especially with the 4.11's. Surprised Comp wasn't more help with this. They're usually pretty responsive.

·
Vendor
9 Posts
If you haven't actually ran the converter with your current combo yet I would recommend trying it. That converter usually works well in a street/strip combination. If you need any other parts give us a try!

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
Problem isn't the 3400-3500 rpm stall speed...it's the fact you bought a TCI StreetFighter converter.
Loose sloppy things from my experience. Wouldn't use it if you gave it to me free. It's a pre-boxed "fitz-all" converter.

Buy a real custom converter built for you combination in the same basic stall speed but properly built and you would see a world of difference. Drive more like a near normal converter until you stand down on the gas.....then it would wake up an get rowdy.

·
True Hotrodder
1,858 Posts
I'm not sure what the guts of a Streetfighter are but you can send it to a convertor builder of your choice and probably get it reworked. Much less than buying a new unit. And unless your Monte has been seriously lightened, it's no where near 3000 pounds.

·
Lurker
33 Posts
agreed on the weight, especially if you have a 9". although stock, here is what my '87 monte weighed. 3577. I think it was about 1/2 tank of gas, no driver.
to drop nearly 600 pounds you'd basically have to totally gut the car to no interior, accessories, or door guts.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Font Measuring instrument Rectangle Gas Gauge

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agreed on the weight, especially if you have a 9". although stock, here is what my '87 monte weighed. 3577. I think it was about 1/2 tank of gas, no driver.
to drop nearly 600 pounds you'd basically have to totally gut the car to no interior, accessories, or door guts.
View attachment 618956
View attachment 618957
My apologies fine sirs. I got a little eager on the weight. I’ve never weighed my car and always got “3000ish” pounds when I googled for curb weight. Guess I was just reading wrong. Based on your setup I’d say an honest 3500 lbs

·
******* Professional
1,307 Posts
My custom converter from A-1 stalls at 4100 on the trans brake but has only a few % slip when cruising at a steady 2500 rpm (55 mph).

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
True Hotrodder
1,858 Posts
My apologies fine sirs. I got a little eager on the weight. I’ve never weighed my car and always got “3000ish” pounds when I googled for curb weight. Guess I was just reading wrong. Based on your setup I’d say an honest 3500 lbs
According to an old GM mechanic that used to work on my Dad's Buicks, curb weight was full coolant, engine oil, 1.5 gallons of fuel, no driver and normally the lightest model produced (4 or 6 cyl, manual trans, no power stuff, etc). He did his share of new car prep at the dealership so I figured he knew what he was talking about.

I would think that 3500-3600 weight is probably closer to the truth. But you never know either unless you weigh it. I raced a '66 Chevelle with a small block, th400, 8 inch convertor, 12 inch rear - the best I ever got it to with me in the car was just over 3100. It also had a glass hood, front and rear bumpers, plexi side windows and rear window. Mine was a 2 door coupe. I had a friend that had a '66 hardtop, interior was gone, 6 point (which I had too), small block, glide car, glass hood and most everything else was stock. His never weighed over 3000 and he and I were within 20-25 pounds of each other. And this was weighing the cars at the drag strip one right behind the other. Beats me to this day what was up with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts