Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted a while ago about my truck, new engine etc and was having carb / tranny problems. I got everything pretty much straightened out but am now having a problem I havent had much experience with.

My engine is a mild 350 build, 370hp in and around 400lbs trq im not sure where the top of the power band is in terms of rpm but it seems to run best at a higher rpm. It has a lot of torque down low because I have trouble keeping the tires hooked up. My old carb (QJ) was giving me horrible problems, lean bog, running rich etc, primary pump would stall it on take off so I bought a complete new rebuilt QJ, now I have more power than I know what to do with. My problem now is I cant keep it running when its in gear, it idles fine once its warmed up but once its in gear it lopes something horrible. Ive adjusted the idle mixture screws, idle speed and timing. I have to have the idle way up high to keep it acting normal but when you put it in gear it practically takes right off even with my foot planted on the brake.
Is there something im missing? Is my torque converter to low stall speed? (Tranny is a stock 350)
Any help would be great, driving it around town is a real pain.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Funny how you describe those symptoms. I switched from ported to full vacuum source, and I now have the same symptoms. I will switch it back to ported either today or tomorrow, but I liked how it previously dropped only 100-150 rpms with the ported vacuum. And that was the only change that I did.

As NXS asked, did it have the same symptoms with the old carb?

As for your converter, it is too "tight", especially if it is a stock converter. They are made to be that way in order to be efficient and not overheat. You can get convertors loose or tight, with whatever stall your cam/setup requires. Just keep in mind there is brake stall, flash stall, and true stall. HERE is a good explanation of them all. I have a TSI ELS 10" converter that brake stalls around 2500, but as soon as I let go, it flashes to 3000, which is where my cam kicks in and a perfect match, but the true stall of it is around 3200-3400.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was fine with the old carb but the old one was so out to lunch it wasnt funny, like I said no power, bogged, flooded I didnt think much of it. Now that I think about it it seems like a major vaccuum leak or something - thats sort of what it runs like.

Ive always had problems with the converter since I had the motor built though, needed a fairly high idle in order to not stall it in gear. Im going to check out the link and try and find a better torque converter. The plan is to put a 700 in it next spring but I cant handle the way it runs now. Its hard as hell to drive in bumper to bumper traffic after work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The converter link only gives the explanation of stall, brake, flash, and true. I would recommend what I have, or a Hughes converter. I know of several guys that swear by the Hughes, even if they only cost $250-300. I had to go direct to TSI to get the right one. The converter is not listed in their catalog, and is made for high torque big blocks. Had I known what I know now, I would have probably gone with the Hughes, but this TSI is awesome, perfect match for my setup.

Are you checking for a vacuum leak anytime soon?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent got a chance to check for a vaccuum leak but definetely I will saturday. I wont be driving the truck until monday. Are you asking because your curious or because you may have some ideas?
I havent heard anyone describe the different stall rates on a converter, is that information that is described or defined by TSI is order to find a correct setup as well?

Ive never had good luck with converters, I had a camaro that I bought a certain stall which turned out to be too high and made the car a big turd and burned out the tranny.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just curious. Something may have been overlooked by mistake. I know I have done it many times being in a hurry to get the new part on.

The info I gave you is actually from Edge Racing converters. The reason your tranny burned up on your camaro is because the converter was too loose, and you probably did not have an additional cooler for the added heat brought on by the converter being loose. You also probably did not have enough gear in the rear, which will also contribute to slippage/heat with the converter, making the car seem heavier. Lower gears will help out with that.

Did you use a new intake to carb gasket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.